Backache and how to avoid it

L

Hi,
I was wondering, does anyone else get a lot of backache from sitting around writing so much? And if so, do you have any tips to avoid it? I'm ok at home because I have a good chair, but I do get very achy from sitting in the library.

S

Library chairs will do that and you just have to break up your time there as much as possible. When I had to do historical research I got a very bad back and bought a good chair for my home office.

S

my very helpful pharmacists told me to avoid slouching - thanks! give me the Ibuprofen

Although it is true, just try to sit as upright as possible, I went through some bad phases of it, but for the last month or so have been okay despite sitting for about 10 hours a day writing (not in a library tho) - I keep the back of my chair bolt upright and try not slouch - it does help either that or I've just gotten used to it?

S

i heard that the key is change. alternating between several bad positions is a lot better than staying in one good position all day long.

so, ideally, you would find a way to have rotating writing positions. lie on the couch, sit at the desk, sit at the kitchen table, lie/sit in bed, and just move around through those positions. or more professionally, have a table that you can lift so that you can write standing, or have a chair that offers different sitting positions at your desk.

alternatively, break up your sitting sessions with other positions frequently. a brief walk around the office, a trip to the coffee machine, to a friend's desk for a chat, to the window, ... don't sit in your breaks!

C

I take regular aerobic exercise with stretching before and after and I find that really helps keep my back strong and pain-free when I have to sit at a desk for hours on end.

N

I read in an article about work-related injuries somewhere that it may actually be better to sit in a SLIGHTLY relaxed position. (Sorry for the caps, would have used italics or bold if I could have). It apparently puts less strain on your back than sitting totally upright.

Yet I know but to well that sitting upright feels really good after you have hurt your back bending over the table for too long...

S

The problem as always is consciously doing it for hours on end, you'll never sit completely imoblised and you tend to shift all the time - which usually results in some great slouching postures

A

With all the time I spend hunched over my bench in the lab, and then over my desk and computer, I've had some awful problems with my neck and back. The osteopath I saw suggested stretching frequently as well as trying to maintain good posture and take breaks etc.

I've found that if I take a couple of minutes every hour or so to stretch my neck and shoulder muscles amd move around a bit it really helps.

V

Try not to work too much on laptop, it is really, really bad for back. Better (and cheaper) is to buy a decent desktop. Also arranging workplace properly really helps (from my experience): the secreen should be so high up that you can look at it straight, without looking up or down. And a proper computer chair is a really good investment.

A

Make it a point to walk around after sitting for about 20-30 min. That's what I do. Hope that helps!-)

S

don't know about anybody else - but I forget and lose track of time - so I only realise after like 3 hours that I've been slouching, by which time, I just top up my blood:Ibuprofen ratio a little and get back to some more slouching

Z

Hi leone, I've tried many things - good posture, good chair, supports, etc., but am recovering from a lower back injury and find it best in the end to just forget about posture and change position regularly. Curl up in a chair, lie on bed/mat in different positions, etc. And regular stretching - sitting on a chair and bending over to hang between your knees for a few minutes regularly is good, as is rotating hips back and forth maybe ten times every time you think of it. I have found that trying to sit up straight aggravates my back.

E

A few things have helped me:

One sounds a bit trite but I was getting RSI (my wrists were hurting) during a job that involved a lot of typing. Occupational Health came and did an assessment of my workstation and gave me a couple of tips including raising the height of the screen (just put a few heavy books underneath) and using a wrist rest. That helped.

Pilates, even just one class a week, works wonders.

I use one of these:

http://www.jpmproducts.co.uk/retail_product_detail.asp?ClientGroupID=4&ProdID=62&ProdTypeID=50

for sitting on and as long as I use it properly (sit up straight and adjust the screen or chair height) I don't get back pain and if I don't use it I do. I feel a bit like a granny if I take it somewhere (new job or something) where I will be working at a pooter all day but it's worth it for the non-back-pain-ness.

Maybe any of the above will help?