concomitant expenses reimbursement

P

Hi, I have an offer of a fully funded PhD from a UK university. Standard stipend of 13590 GBP is included. My question is that as an international student, will I be reimbursed expenses like air fare, visa fees etc. Of course, I can ask this directly to the University but before that want to know your opinion. Thanks.

W

Hello - me again: there is very little chance you would be reimbursed for airtickets and visa expenses! The university would presume that you have the willingness and ability to take these on (or locate funds to do so) by yourself, since you applied here after all, which indicates you have the desire to be here anyway. Also, bear in mind that unless you stay in uni accommodation, you will need to plan for a lump sum for rent as most landlords expect international students to pay in advance (up to 6 months' rent). Sorry it's not good news but many int'l students have faced these issues too late.

P

Dear wallsonfire,

Thank you so much for your advice and bringing me face to face with the ground reality.

About accommodation, I would like to have a 2 bedroom flat as my parents would like to visit me from time to time over 3 years. Could you please tell me the amount of rent I should expect to pa out? Can a furnished 2 BR flat be had under GBP 900? (incl. water and electricity). Thanks

R

Unless you will be living in London then you should be able to find a 2 bedroom flat or maybe even a house depending on where in the country you will be for less than £900 a month.

To get an idea of how much you can get for your money try looking on www.rightmove.co.uk as they list properties from around the country and then this should help you plan your living expenses etc.

P

Thanks pixie. I am thinking of living in University accommodation only. When my parents come, I think they can stay in the univ. guest houses.