CV - advice needed with detail of results

R

Hi,

I've been asked to send my CV to a supervisor and was just wondering should I include the actual marks (as well as classification) I achieved for my UG/masters degrees. It's just that I was very close to a first for my UG and don't know whether it's worth mentioning the actual score. Should you include any module results as well if they're particularly relevant to the PhD?

Many thanks

T

Mmmm this is a bit of a tricky one, I think it depends on your type of degree. I'm a scientist and I have never included exact marks in my CV however, when I applied for PhDs I often had to send a copy of my academic transcript.
But on the other hand my other half is a laywer and despite having two firsts he still has various marks for certain modules in his CV, which I was told was common practice in that area.

C

Absolutely you need to put the overall undergrad mark on your application. The university will no doubt at some point require a transcription of your results anyway in order to admit you so they will see a breakdown then. For now if you have say 66/67% I would definitely just put the headline figure on your application. There's a big difference between a solid 2.1 (e.g. 65.7-68%) and a borderline 2.1 (e.g. 59%). Certainly any ESRC or AHRC studentship you will only have a reasonable chance of getting it usually if you have a solid 2.1 rather than a borderline 2.1 (the AHRC is so competitive usually only a First will do). The institution of the undergrad degree matters to some extent in practice as well if you have only a 2.1 rather than a First.

R

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll put my overall mark down for my UG but leave modules out. I am a science graduate, but I can see what you mean, commonsense, about the range of a 2.1. I got 69.something, so really missed by a whisker.

S

just as a comment, it will probably help to put down the mark 69% after your 2i

But be prepared to answer questions on why you think you didn't get the first.

I assume (as most employers will)that you would have been given an additional oral exam (as you were so close to the border).

If you did take this oral exam, and still did not get the 1st, you were therefore deemed to desrve the 2i.

I'm not saying this to be harsh, just to point out that if you go in to an interview saying that you 100% deserved a 1st, but lost it only by 1%, expect some questions on this.

At the end of the day you'll face a better chance by putting the result in, but just be ready for some questions - always better to have thought of an answer than stumble on it in an interview.

Good Luck

S

R

I didn't have an oral exam to be awarded a 2.1. The policy was they didn't round up degree marks and I was the cut-off point for 2.1/1sts. I was quite happy really because I was on a mid 2.1 half way through the 3rd year and it was only because of getting quite high 1sts in my last round of exams that I was so close to a 1st in the end.

S

Thats a real shame you didn't get the chance, but again as long as you have an answer.

I suspect if you put the mark in they will probably still ask you - although I would stick with 'the uni did't have a policy on upgrading results and using oral exams' as opposed to saying you did better in the latter half of the year - unless they really ask for details?

Anyway good luck - I personally think you should be allowed the chance to prove you are worthy of a 1st by oral exam when you are that close - its still an exam (performed by examiners from other universities)and if anything a real test of your knowledge as they can ask you anything.

Good luck

S