demanding undergraduate students

W

But the whole idea of doing a degree, whatever the discipline, is to move from being a dependent learner to and an independent learner. If she carries on, refer her to the Learning and Skills Council and she will find exactly what is expected of her as someone aiming to get a level 4 qualification. Included in the description is something along the lines of being able to think for yourself and solve complex problems by yourself. You can point her in the right direction, but she has to do the work. And if she moans about paying so much (and I think that a 1st degree should be free), refer her to statistics that tell her how much more she will earn over her lifetime than a non-graduate (though I think they are a bit false). If Mandelson gets his way with HE, I don't think we've heard nothing yet, as far as students thinking they're paying for a service.

C

AAGH anyone else fed up of spending their time fielding all the weird and wonderful excuses UG have for missing seminars. Mine are supposed to all be doing 10 min presentations and I've had so many reasons why they can't do them this week and can they do them week 8 instead.

Or the I'm too sick to come in and couldn't get online before 3pm to tell you I won't be attending a 2pm seminar!

I have better things to do with my time than keep track of who's presenting when etc.

Anyway rant over. Email jut pinged, probably anothr excuse of why they were not here today or a plee not to have to present on friday! :-s