Discouraged about quality of PhDs

H

do it again!

M

I couldnt possibly spare the time to do it again if I am going to meet my mandatory 14 hour working day. Now stop wasting time on PG forums and do some real research (like me). Mind you, aren't you finished yet? well thats what a lack of high expectations and demands does for you! I feel we have much to learn H....

S

moomin - I don't see any point in finishing now I know my PhD is worthless in comparison to the US system!

H

Oh but moomin, I have actually finished all my research work and written up my thesis in the first year of my PhD. I also had some papers submitted. It just seemed a waste of two years of funding so my supervisors told me to pretend that I still had 2 years worth of work to do. This is the sad story of why I spend too much of my time on this forum

M

only took you a year???
I did mine last sunday whilst watching eastenders omnibus

T

I solved my research problem over christmas and submitted it.. I decided to submit to a US university as they are better.. It was Belford or something..

M

sixkitten - don't forget the pain involved in being so superior. we mustnt just think of ourselves

H

Oh I forgot to mention I already have 3 PhDs from an american institute, funnily enough Tricky, it is called Belford!

M

I'm the Pro Vice chancellor of Belford. Stop dissing it.

H

and you don't even have a phd yet......

..... no comment.

S

Hey Moomin man.
Nice comment bout the boyfriend. No problem getting em, infact, I have a problem getting rid of men. I broke it off with a serious boyfriend cause i'm in the process of applying for positions as a professor, so it's likely i'm moving away and unfair to continue on something if they are planning on staying where i'm at now.
And to Piglet. Yes my supervisor was serious. I am in the 4th year of the PhD, so of the last 4 years, I've actually done lab work on 2 Christmas Days.
But I am not complaining, i enjoy what i'm doing, and it was necessary to do work those days.
P.s year 4 and i'm still doing lab work. I'd love to hear what i should have studied to get it done with in one year.
Crazy, good for you!

M

oh my god- I can't believe you answered the queries regarding your boyfiend (or lack of) seriously. I can only assume that your colleagues locked you in the labs over christmas in order to avoid your constant moaning and whining about how you spend every christmas in the labs.
Now please, stop spending the next 4 years (and 4 christmas's) on various forums that have sadly seen fit to allow slack-jawed canadians access to their sites.
Apologies to any non-slack-jawed canadians out there, my sister went out with one when she was younger and he was lovely.
What is your research in? (honestly - lets be friends)

P

Now I am REALLY concerned about the quality of Professors in Canada.

If sugar_student is a 4th year PhD student (bearing in mind it takes 5-7 years to finish a PhD in Canada) - how the heck can she be applying for Professor positions????????

If that is the case, bugger this thesis caper, I am catching the next plane to Vancouver and becoming a Professor!!!

M

book two tickets piglet. what were we thinking finishing this PhD malarky? After all its not like its actually worth anything (apparently)
see you in duty free

M

by the way - I am most definantly not a man (even my boyfriend agrees)