Discouraged about quality of PhDs

C

I think the North American/Canadian meaning of professor may be different to the UK one...

S

Its not often the case that students jump into professor positions after phds (maybe my long hours will pay off). There are different levels of professors over here. As mentioned way before, most students do 3 year masters here and as somebody else mentioned they can therefore be more established in their phd.

T

In the US professor is used differently to the UK. In the US I think it goes:-
PhD, postdoc, Assistant professor, Associate professor,
Full professor,Professor emeritus (retired)

Compared to the UK which is something like:-
Postgraduate, Postdoc/research assistant, research fellow, lecturer, senior lecturer, reader, professor.

I read somewhere that warwick is going to use the US system soon.

P

But that still means sugar_student is jumping a couple of steps for a PhD student who has 1-2 years to go. Jeez, maybe I should have done some 14 hour days and worked on Christmas during my PhD. Professor Piglet.

S

You are right tricky, often you also have to do a post doc in there too in north america. But if you can publish enough and get enough teaching/reasearch/contacts/experience while doing the phd, you may get to the associate stage faster. We'll see though, I still got a year left with the phd.
P.s Sorry Moomin about the "man" thing. Moom made me thing of man.

A

Dear Sugar_student

Where abouts are you going to apply to be a professor? If you come to the UK I was wondering if you would like to go out for dinner with me.

Adem x

H

Adem, sugar_student can't become a professor in the UK as you need many years of established research and teaching.

Not sure how she would fit you in with her 14 hours work day as well as hardly any weekends off.

B

Sugar_Student,

Congratulations, I am very impressed with your achievements! Dont worry about these broads on the forum, theyre just jealous of your accomplishments and that I like you more than I like them.

B

Do you know, this forum never fails to cheer me up! Cheers guys, you're all nutters!

V

A simple question: if Canadian degrees are so much better than european, why none of Canadian Universities is even in the top of world university ranking? Where are your many top researchers and Nobel prize laureates?

A

that's an irrelevant question, verdy, as it only reflects PAST achievements whereas sugar_student pretends to be a future star.

However, with your 14 hours per day you will sadly end in

a) the mental clinic (within 12 months)

or

b) the coffin

I think it's ridiculous that you even try to show off with such a number-you are definitely not an example for a good PhD student, rather for an obsessed/crazy one (with all due respect)

A

I am also a Canadian PhD student, and new to this forum.

I believe achieving a PhD or Master’s in Canada varies across disciplines, and perhaps institutions.

I completed my MA degree (social sciences) in 2 years (as a full time student), the length of the program. Four other students in my year completed the degree in this time frame. Two students in my year were delayed due to problems with data collection, change in advisor/problems with external examiner, which ended up being 3 years to complete the degree. Generally, our impression was that the “vibe” in the department towards these students was negative, and taking any longer then 2 years was frowned upon.

A

My PhD program requires me to complete all course work, 2 comprehensive exams and the dissertation within 12 terms or 4 years (as a full time student, with a TA or RA). Rumor has it that most students do finish in 3 years with the 4th year used as a “cushion” for any problems that may arise!

Anyways, I think this forum is great and I look forward to talking with all of you.

D

Hi sugar_student. Working 14 hours a day has sadly rubbed off on your personality. I am very worried that you seem to have no time left to have fun

M

Sugar_student - do you actually study sugar? Sweet!