Do I jump?

L

Hi everyone, just found this forum and wanted to ask you a quickie. I've always wanted to do a phD and now I've been offered one! Yippee! But I'm absolutely terrified! Am I right to feel this? Is it terrifying for the whole three years or just the beginning? From your experience is it worth making the jump from quite a nice job, paying alright money to potential three years of brain-melting hell? Will I get grey hairs? Give it to me straight! Thanks xx

K

Hi, I left a good paid job to do a PhD, im now 6 months in and no regrets even though money is a little tight. If you have always wanted to do one and money doesnt bother you do it. of course its stressful and there will be times when you think what am i doing. But its worth it.

W

The decision is up to you really... Do you enjoy what you do now? Will it get you to where you want to be at in a few years time?

A PhD can be rewarding but it is focused towards life in academia and research positions in industry. If that is what you want to do, then jump. However they do not give you a parachute so once you jump you will just have to cross your fingers and hope you make a soft landing! There is no gurantee about what happens after the PhD.

However if you are sure you want to do a PhD and you are just nervous about how it will go and whether you can cope and all the rest of it? Don't worry. Everyone has those doubts at the start. I suggest you read this book:

How to Get a PhD: A Handbook for Students and Their Supervisors by Estelle Phillips and Derek S. Pugh

Buy it at Amazon

W

PS: I did get four grey hairs (one for each year of my PhD!) and I am only 25! I now make sure these white buggers are tucked away at the bottom of my head of black hair. I am also glad this is my last year!

S

another book i recommend is 'your PhD companion' by Stephen Marshall, Nick Green.

i found this very useful, and it can help you before you start you PhD, but also during your PhD.

L

Thanks for all your replies everyone, they've been really helpful. I don't feel quite so sick with nerves now. I think I'll go for it!

L

GO for it!
I love my PhD - I quit med school to do it!
Good luck