Final year support thread

S

Don't know if this is the right place to be posting considering most are writing up (as was I!) but I have my viva in a fortnight and am increasingly sick with worry. Overall I think there are good moments in my thesis and some good clear writing but largely it's clumsy. My nerves when writing were just too much. Really so scared and worried.

Well done, Starsgoblue and Teegs!-wishing you all the best in the next few weeks and months. And Starsgoblue- hope the nerves don't get too much-I'm sure that your writing will be fine.

I am having around a 4-5 week holiday from my chapter edits, as I have taken a new job which entails an interstate move, selling up and organising house, pets and other matters. Currently I am typing this in the only room in the house that has furniture. This has delayed my submission date by a couple of months at least-so while I was hoping to go for end of Jan-Feb-the new job, life and place means it will be more likely to be ready to submit around May. Hugh and Zutterfly, I can't stand my research at the moment but am hoping that once I have settled in can muster up enough discipline and motivation to forge through the edits and submit. I think Chapters 1-3 are pretty much right-now just need to keep working through 4-8. But moving house is pretty draining. Anyway, all's well and wishing everyone else much encouragement. Keep up the incremental work and it will eventually be complete! Cheers all and best wishes for 2017.

Z

I am currently still waiting for feedback on my thesis from my sup. They have returned three chapters of feedback and hopefully will get the rest on Friday.

I plan to make a dent in the edits today on the chapters I do have returned to me. I feel as though I have completely forgotten what I have written though- it has been two months since handing the draft in!

Hope everyone is having a good week :)

P

I am so tired today, I can barely focus. Have had the weekend from hell trying to revise and resubmit a paper I have been working on, with another deadline looming today! Needless to say barely any work on my thesis has got done in the last two weeks. Feel like I have writing burnout...

G

My deadline is April 28th. Keep going practical mouse - my position is where you were a month ago. Let's do this in tandem! I'm right behind you x

P

Thank you GeographyJo - felt much better already after getting the two articles out of the way. I can't believe this baby will be finished so soon. How many more chapters have you got to do?

L

Hi all, I had my viva last week and passed with minor corrections! It really hasn't sunk in yet but I'm overjoyed. Three months to do the corrections and I'm done.

I really struggled at times throughout this whole process and I really mean it when I say if I can do this then you can too. Just get the words out - pomodoro or go to a thesis boot camp. You can and will do this!

Thanks for all the camaraderie on this forum. Looking back on previous posts and I can't believe I'm done. Will no doubt check in again after corrections. Good luck all finishing up. You can do it!!

H

Quote From litphdgirl:
Hi all, I had my viva last week and passed with minor corrections! It really hasn't sunk in yet but I'm overjoyed. Three months to do the corrections and I'm done.

I really struggled at times throughout this whole process and I really mean it when I say if I can do this then you can too. Just get the words out - pomodoro or go to a thesis boot camp. You can and will do this!

Thanks for all the camaraderie on this forum. Looking back on previous posts and I can't believe I'm done. Will no doubt check in again after corrections. Good luck all finishing up. You can do it!!

congratulations!!! :-) I think you are our 1st to make it through, so well done!

How was the viva?

Z

Quote From litphdgirl:

Huge huge well done!! I am looking forward to be at your point. I hope you take some time to celebrate before tackling the corrections :)

L

Quote From Hugh:
Quote From litphdgirl:

congratulations!!! :-) I think you are our 1st to make it through, so well done!

How was the viva?

The viva was so much more pleasant than I'd ever thought it could be! I don't know if I could say I enjoyed it because it was immensely stressful but it is a hoop that needs to be jumped through.

I had minimal feedback on my thesis from supervisors so the scary thing was knowing that this work was truly mine. But that feels all the better now I've passed.

Just get the words out! :)

Z

I am so glad to hear that it was a pleasant experience litphdgirl :)

I have had some bizarre dreams about the viva over the past few months which I will share for giggles- I don't even have a date yet so unsure why. One of them involved having 11 examiners and they were drinking wine so they passed me with no corrections while drunk. The other was about a viva that only lasted 15 minutes. My brain is going through some weird stuff right now!

Z

How is everyone getting along?

I am trying to blast through the final edits this week (all whilst working multiple part-time jobs eek) to send it to a proof reader fairly soon. I am so tired and I just cannot wait until I have submitted so I can have a break from thinking about it.

G

Good luck with your edits Zutterfly. I'm still working on individual chapters here! (Deadline April 28th, so aiming for full final draft at the end of this month.)

Z

Good luck Jo :) How are you feeling about the deadline?

I am determined to finish them today in between marking exam papers and providing feedback on students' work. Busy day afoot! May treat myself to a glass of wine later ;)

Well done Litphdgirl and also Zutterfly-great work indeed!

I've had my 6 week break from thesis while moving states, towns and jobs and while it was hectic, the total break from editing and reading was fantastic. Today I sat down and the editing that seemed to be a forever story for my 3rd chapter, was tidied up today, when I saw that I had actually managed to completely reorganise the presentation of data methods last November/December. I was so stressed and caught up in the edits that it just seemed like gobbledegook at the time.

As I am now a distance candidate for my final months, I sent off a completion plan this afternoon and I am hoping to power through each of the final 4 major chapters-one every fortnight (after work that is).I'm planning to be able to give intention to submit by the end of April and get it all done by mid year. A little later than my first and second plans outlined earlier but realistic I think given the part time nature of things and the job.

My main bugbear right now is the presentation and formatting of tables and inserting these in to the word doc without scrambling the data or having everything so small you can't read it-or at least I can't read it.

Good luck everyone and happy editing!