Getting to know people at a conference

A

I'll be going to a conference soon and I understand that getting to know some of the people in the conference is one important reason for attending a conference. However, how does one get to know people at the conference? What are some of your experiences?

B

I went to my first conference a few months back and what I did was look through other speakers' abstracts to see what their research areas were and just approached them in between sessions. Everyone was very keen to discuss their work and to hear about mine - I'm very shy and so was pretty nervous about it beforehand but people generally love talking about what it is they're researching so I learned a lot about what else is going on 'out there' in the research world

S

- go up to people after their presentations and talk to them (say what you liked or comment on what occured to you while listening or the like)
- use the coffee breaks to hook up with (random) people. often times at coffee break people are standing around alone, whereas in lunch break they meet up with people they already know. do some small talk, often the past session is a good starting point (were you in session x? how did you like y's talk? i always get so annoyed when people don't stick to their time limits, it's unfair towards the other presenters. my own research is on z, so y's presentation really was interesting to me. which session are you going to next? i was thinking that session 34 sounds interesting because of presenter U ...)
- then afterwards, in the lunchbreak, you can hook up with those aquaintances again. it is always good to know the schedule and to know where there is food. (hey there, i was thinking of going for lunch over at Z. want to come along?)

T

seems enough advice already! just enjoy!

J

Hi!

I have this exact same problem! I am going to my first seminar/workshop on Friday and am so nervous. I am friendly and chatty but very shy so the thought of having to go up to people and randomly start small talk (hate it, can't do it!) is terrifying. Plus, we have lunch FIRST, then get into the seminar which is going to be very hard nad I won't have a clue how to approach anyone or what to say! I feel your pain BUT equally, am sure it will never be as bad or scary as we think...!

Good luck! xx

P

Sometimes it is easier to talk to people at lunch (as long as you don't try with a mouthful of food!) Instead of having to approach someone, you are actually sitting next to people and it is expected for people to ask their neighbours where they are from, what they are working on etc.

J

it's a buffet. Oh I HOPE we are sat down. I assumed it would be people stood up in little clique, then me there with a wee plate of sausage rolls on my todd...
x

PS SO sorry to hijack thread. will leave well alone now! xx

A

Thanks very much for the overwhelming response. I'll try out your suggestions.