Help! Is there something going on?

R

Good time of the day to everyone,

Today browsing my uni web for a course syllabus that I will do TA, anyway, just by occasion, I came across information that my supervisors are announcing a studentship, the same one I am having with them, on the same topic, and even the idea and words describing the proposed area of research looks to be taken from my research proposal! I was speechless when I saw this, and keep thinking about it whole day. I don't' understand what is going on. Are they recruiting another student to work on PhD in the same area, because they think I am not doing well? So, in a way, they already think of getting rid of me? Or they are genuinely interested in the area and would like to explore it more? But then why they are copying my ideas and words in the announcement? Knowing them, I doubt their lack of creativity to come up with at least their own text of announcement? Am I being paranoid? Should I bring it up with them? Especially the copying part.. I am just lost in my thoughts. I cannot concentrate on work at the moment. Anyone, please help me to get my peace back!

Talk to them. It might not be as bad as it seems once you know what is going on. But you do need to bring it up (well in my humble opinion anyway). I know I would fret until it was sorted...but I'm thinking that it might not have anything to do with how well you are doing. What I mean to say is...that I wouldn't necessarily infer that they were trying to replace you because you weren't good enough...

If it were me I would also bring up (I would be direct but sort of nice and tentative) the use of your words and phrasing...saying something like "I can't help noticing it really seems to replicate what I am already doing...or have I misinterpreted this??"

Hope it all goes well...others might have other ideas or ways of going about it, so I am just saying what I would do in the circumstances...I've found from past experience that people usually appreciate a pleasant but direct approach and things are never as bad as I imagine them in my head when I'm alone!!!

R

Awhh, Plju and Strawberrygirl, thank you indeed for your advice (up) - just what the doctor prescribed :-)! I feel less fret and and demoralised, mostly, as you, guys, mentioned, the whole thing could be just a formal process of securing funding for research (@ Strawberrygirl: this will be a studentship for somebody else as I already have one) and partly because it is not in my power to change the course of this particular thing. As long as the thing does not sound outright appalling, as you guys confirmed, I can wait and see what happens...and will try to talk to sups, gently, as you advised ;-). xxx, rina