Help me find a PHD in a topic related to Relational Database/Object-relational DB, or other

S

Dear All,

I am currently working full time as a Software Tester. Most of my work involve querying "SQL Server 2005 relational database".

I have a Masters in Computing (with core subject JAVA and Database Management Systems (DBMS)), my dissertation was on "Reverse engineering of Object-Relational Database". Which I designed and implemented.

I have always been interested in working with Database (DB) and also been interested to expand my klnowledge in DB area. As I have been outside the accademic world for over 3 years, I am struggling to find a PHD with subjects that relate to relational DB or Object-relational DB. I would really appreciate it if you could guide me on how to choose the right topic or point out the university that does a phd in a DB related topic.

Also, as I have been in the software testing proffession for over 3 years, I would consider a PHD in software quality assurance/software testing. Is there PHD in software quality assurance/Software testing?

I would really appreciate your help/advise.

Thanks
Joe :-)

I

Hi Joe,
I hope you don't mind me saying, but doesn't the answer lie in what you've wrote? You state that 'as I have been outside the academic world for over 3 years, I am struggling to find a PHD with subjects that relate to relational DB or Object-relational DB. If (and I am assuming if) those are the areas that you would like to be, but you cannot find PHD's relevant to them, then what you should be doing is suggesting your own research in relation to them.
I don't want to appear negative at all, but from the posts I've seen where people ask for help/advice on choosing the right topic for a PHD, the general concensus seems to be that if you don't really know that for yourself, then perhaps you shouldn't really be doing a PHD? I hope you dont take offence at that, hopefully you will come up with something, or even advice which you consider more constructive!

S

Thanks for your reply. No offence taken. I found your comments very useful. I have a clearer understanding on how are the phd topics are chosen created and that best to do something that interests me. I know now that it is best to suggest my own research; that is in relation to RelationalDatabase and testing of migrated DB - from ORACLE TO SQL SERVER (Perhaps developing a tool that does the testing of the migrated DB). I think this would be a useful topic as it combines my proffessional experience with my interests in DB.

Where do I go from here? Should I check whether there are similar dissertation out there before suggesting it as a research topic for a phd?

Thanks

S
J

Hi Joe

Its a bit of a soul searching process finding the right title/questions etc for a PhD thesis, but hopefully you will find this useful: try www.jobs.ac.uk and have a look at the current PhD studentships being offered, will give you an idea of whats out there; have a look on www.ethos.bl.uk and search through titles of completed PhD's; go to the university websites and look at what research they are doing and whos doing what, you could send one the professors/dr's in similar area to your own an email with your ideas, I sent out emails to various professors at different uni's with a short description of the area I was interested in and had very positive feed back; download the uni's application form for PhD so you can see how much more researching you will have to do in order to fulfill there criteria.  Most uni's wont expect a fully worked up proposal and a definitive research title and questions, thats what you start working on after you've been excepted. Just choose an area that you are very passionate about because its a long lonely project and you will need to love it to stick with it, and then some.  Good luck.