Help really needed

C

Hi everyone, I'm doing a science PhD and my third year was up in October sadly. I have been writing up but have suffered several set backs - the major set back was being told my intro was useless and I should consider if I really wanted to do a PhD because I may not be good enough by my supervisor - after crying for a week I have finally pulled myself together but I'm now in a constant state of panic!

Both supervisors have chacked my methodology and think this is well written and the results section is going well but from feeling quite positive before the meeting I am now terrified I have achieved nothing and will be laughed at in the viva.

I have not slept well for a week and keep having horrible nightmares and I scream the house down which is pretty grim for my other half!!!

I have to submit and pass by next October or I think it is classed as a fail and Im not sure what happens - I also think the funding will run out which will be a nightmare.

Id really love some advice,

Thanks
C

R

I'm only a masters student...but sounds lke you need to chill out. You won't think productively if you're panicking, and you'lljust make the stuation even worse for yourself.

F

You should be able to get an extension if it looks like you're going to go over time (although I agree about the nightmare of funding). I don't think extensions are automatic, but if you can make a reasonable case you may well get one. Universities are generally keen not to have non-finishers as it looks bad on the RAE.

D

Ok claireabell, lovely name btw . Roopa's right, first thing you need to do is calm down! Secondly, this isn't the last minute you have a while yet, though I know it really feels like it's closing in!Thirdly, re-working you're introduction isn't that bad, I'm surprised my supervisor didn't laugh at my first draft of my intro! Pen-ultimately, if you have had set backs, getting an extension of six months or so should not be a problem!Finally, you really need to talk to your supervisor, remaining isolated and stressed is doing you no good at all, certainly it's limiting your progress. So for tonight, relax, I know it's difficult and then go and chat to your supervisors first thing tomorrow! And from me to you a big hug! D x

D

Do supervisors take any lessons in how to give constructive feedback?
I am only in my first year but after my third supervisory session I was left in pieces after an essay I submitted was torn to shreds. I lost all confidence and began to doubt myself...I guess you are in the same position only worse as you are nearing the end. My advice is to reclaim control of YOUR PhD. Ask for a meeting and say that while you appreciate the feedback was necessary it has left you disorientated and you would like some positive pointers to how you can improve it. Remain calm and write down exactly what you want to say before the meeting. Take a dictaphone so you can clarify exactly what their point are.

D

oopppps sorry got cut off. Anyhow be honest and say you need positive help to see this through and that negativity has just left you panicked. Once you have things in black and white it is so much easier to priortise and build a plan of action. The biggest thing for you at the moment is plain and simple Fear...don't be paralysed by it...TAKE CONTROL and you can easily achieve your goal. You are worthy of this PhD don't be blinded by negativity from others. lol Dazed x

P

I can sympathise. Everybody thinks that once you get to the write-up stage you are home and hosed, but that is simply not true! Writing up makes you realise all the dumb things you have done in the lab at at time when it is too late to fix them. Writing is excruciating and depressing and your mood changes from high to low on an hourly cycle. But, you are not alone in feeling that way, claireabell. I am almost done too and just last week had to lie on the bed in the foetal position and have a good cry about how useless I am and how I am going to fail.

I think everyone here is right - you need to stop stressing - panic and productivity do no go together. You have months to go yet, so take a deep breath and relax. If your methods and results sections are going well, then you really are making fantastic progress.....

P

.....Some people say not to stress about your introduction until after you work out what the rest of your thesis is going to say. So, your intro will probably become easier as you make progress on the other chapters.

As for your supervisor making the unhelpful and hurtful comment about you not being good enough? Surely that is just a supervisor motivational tool, albeit a crap one? If you were not good enough, there is no way you would have made it this far. I am 100% confident you will be fine and this time next year, it will all be over. Good luck!

C

Thank you so much everyone I cant believe Ive only just found this site I should have looked ages ago!! You are all right, it is MY PhD and I am actually quite proud of it even if it isnt good enough when I take the viva!! Ive had to pull it from nothing - the initial outline was Immunology and I', a molecular scientist!!! Ive also had to change colleges inbetween as one of the 2 supervisors left me after the first year and so I had to move it all to the new place!!! I feel a year behind, but I guess thats because I am!!!

I will keep fighting and get reading! Thanks again for all your comments, good luck to everyone!

C

A

Hi..clairbell

I would like to know if any one here is doing immunology in Birmingham...I have alot of question about the PhD there.