Hours Advice

I

Hi,
I would be really grateful if anybody could help with the following query. I am (hopefully) starting a fully funded PhD in October at a U.K. university.
While I am of course happy and prepared to study full-time, due to family committments I have kind of assumed that I would be able to plan my study time around this. Ideally, I would be happy to be in Uni for 3 full days a week and then to fit the rest round evenings / weekends etc.
I haven't officially broached this with my supervisor as I have assumed it is okay, and I also of course didn't want to look uncommitted!
Please could you give your general opinion on this, my subject area is english language / humanities.

Thanks in anticipation!

K

Hi Imposter,

This is perfectly fine in the Humanities. In fact, in all probability no-one will ever question how much time you actually spend on campus, as long as you keep in regular contact with your supervisor and try to meet your deadlines. Even most humanities students who could come in to Uni everyday don't and I've found that it helps with motivation to change scenery regularly so I usually alternate between two libraries and home. All the best of luck with starting your PhD :-)

B

I'm in the same subject area and I never go into uni except to teach and for meetings. Having said that, all my supervisor meetings have been via skype for the last year. I spent my entire first year feeling a bit guilty about this, and I was sure everyone else was far more commited than me, but now, coming to the end of year 2, I realise that you have to do whatever suits you.

I look after 3 young kids, I teach, and I do a little bit of self employed work to pay the mortgage. The most I am likely to get is 3 full days on my phd in any week, but usually I am grabbing hours here and there, whenever that may be. The trick is to make your work focussed. If I'm working for 3 hours, then it is solid, no messing about, 3 hours work. As far as I can tell, I'm where I should be in terms of progress.

What I'm saying is, as long as you keep on top of it, and are staying sane, it doesn't matter how you are organising your time. I've never even discussed this with my supervisor. I figure that as long as I make the progress he expects, it's none of his business. I doubt he'd be interested anyway, as I think he has a similar attitude.

The worst thing you can do is compare yourself to other people. There'll be a few 9-5ers doing the same subject, but they aren't necessarily being more productive, they just prefer that way of working. You don't have the luxury of choosing.

I

Thanks lots for the replies that's a great help.
Now just fingers crossed for the funding!