How do you get a Post-Doc in America???

L

Hi Guys,
I am about half way through my PhD (if on track, I'll finish in about 18months) but I would really love, love, love to do a Post-Doc in America pretty much straight after. I'm starting to do some research on this now but I just wondered if any of you have tips/hints on how to secure a Post-Doc abroad? The application process all seems a bit complicated and the visas. Also, how far in advance did you have to apply before you started the Post-Doc?
Any advice would be fab.

Thanks!

S

I'd also be really interested in any advice on this. I know there are some problems whereby the US tends to 'look down' on UK PhDs because they do not include exams - is this a problem with post doc positions?

C

I've heard there is more pressure to work hard e.g. longer hours and weekends.

L

For post-doc in USA first, you need to check out the universities which conduct research in your areas and then list out the professors. The next step is to contact the professors and gather information about funding and how the post-doc in your area is conducted. Then shortlist the universities and proceed with your application.
It is also beneficial if you email couple of post-docs in the universities you are interested in so you get the idea of how things are done here. In USA, generally in a good university post-docs are a part of faculty and allowed to teach and conduct research at the same time and paid reasonably good. Good luck