I Got a 2ii MEng Chemical Engineering. Really what to do a PHd....Help

V

I Got a 2ii MEng Chemical Engineering at Bath. I really what to do a PHd. I working as Developmental Engineer at the mo........
Some advice please..............

Should I do a Masters or MPhil First or should I try for a job in Lab? Where can I get funding for this (if possible) and how much help can I expect!!!?

Can I get straight onto a PhD in Chemistry/Biochemistry.....If so where should I realistically apply?

As I said I’m working in Industry at the moment and I’m feed up. Its just not for me!!!! Is there anyone who was in a similar position as me………?

I ready to put the hours in, but have no I idea who to tackle the problem?? There are so many options.. Is there anyone else who got round this?

P

Hello!

Im a current PhD student who has the dreaded 2.2 degree, so it is possible!

In my situation, I had to fight for my PhD as all of the other candidates had at least a 2.1. To prove my worth, and to improve my profile I obtained 2 MSc degrees (1 from UCL), obtained relevant related experience and published some of my work in journals.

It was a hard slog for me, and it really has knocked my confidence, but has not stopped my determination! I hope this provides some comfort for you, because I know how it feels! My field is however, in social sciences, so Im not sure whether the same applies to engineering, but I think the key is to show dedication and also, networking with relevant professionals really helps in getting experience to show your interest in a subject.

Hope this helps!

H

Why do you want to do a PhD?

Why in biochem/chem?

T

Hi, i was just wondering how you were able to obtain a MSc placement with a 2.2 degree?

At the moment I am debating whether to do a masters degree in the future. I am a second year psychology student however things have not been going so well for me. If i am lucky i will be able to obtain a 60% average.

However on a more realistic note I will prob obtain a 2.2 which i am really disappointed with. As in my first year I obtain a 66% average.

Then I have been looking as universities that offer msc courses they all require 2:1 if not higher. Therefore how where you able to obtain a place with a 2.2?

Thank you

p.s if you wouldn't mind , could you tell me what your average was?

Thankz.

K

Hi Tejal,
Assistant psychologist jobs are really good to look out for if your hoping to do a psychology masters with a 2:2. The experience you will get should help you get shortlisted for an interview. It still is very competitive but it will benfit your application.

V

Hi all,

I’ve had a few interviews and things are moving along. Thanks for the moral support; it was so good to here from others in the same or similar predicament. It really helped to know I wasn’t the only one. What helped me the most was a job I got in an engineering R&D lab. I had to work my arse off, but it meant I had something to show at the interviews. Enthusiasm can get you far as well, nothing can be more attractive!!! Just keep plugging away and keep your mind open to opportunities, of which there are many (thou it may not seem like that at the time!!!).

I’ve been accepted onto a PHd studentship but have to wait to see if I get the funding in May.

Figures and Toes crossed!!!

S

why do u think you will get a 2:2 if you say in your first year you got 66 %?

I got 66 % in my first year, 79 % in my 2nd year and 74 % in my final and got a first.

You should be more optimistic