I'm new to this forum..Nice to meet you ALL

S

Howdy

R

Hi Lynn,

welcome,
So you are into care of the elderly?

R

Welcome lynn and xpm! I was wondering if there were any canadians on this forum... I'm thinking about going to Canada for a while when I finish my PhD - just to see a different part of the world (I'm from Ireland) and heard Canada is the best country in the world to live in

Is it hard to get postdoctoral positions over there... especially for a 'non-national'? Or any tips at all about life on the other side of the pond would be appreciated

L

Thanks everyone for saying hello!

Rick and Smilodon...Yes, studying the elderly, it's a great field and they rock, hehe! The overall goal of my research is to improve access to dental services in the elderly as they move into different health care sectors (i.e community to nursing homes). I'm a busy girl. Trench, I will be contacting you via e-mail shortly.

Rosey..We would love to have you over here for a visit! I'm not too sure about postdoc positions, but I imagine that they are willing to accept international students. What is your area? Oh! and I hear Ireland is great place to live...I have friends at UCD and I'm not sure if I will ever see them back in our country again!

S

hi to all newbies, welcome from me too!

and happy new year to everyone else!

myself, i'm swiss/english, currently in london. one of my best friends and PhD colleagues is canadian and i'm hoping to visit her over there some time

C

Cool to see how we know friends who have been to Canada and loved it. I had a mate of mine who went to there for a 6 month project. He didn't want to come back! lol He finally came and is now thinking of going back for his MSc/PhD

R

Lynn,

interesting subject. Do not know regarding Canada, yet in the UK access to NHS dentists is not easy, a lot of people go privately. Do not know whether being in a nursing home helps: suppose depends on how well it is run. In the UK my experience is that standsards of nursing homes vary significantly.

R

Hi xpm,

welcome to this forum.
How are you?

K

Hello to all new members

L

Rick- thanks for your reply. Yes, I have heard that access to NHS dental is almost non-existant over there now- I wonder though if the system still provides services to people who cannot afford private care? Or have most denstists in your country simply left NHS and gone private? Just curious, if you or anyone else doesn't know that is okay.
Nursing homes/long term care homes over here vary too. LTC homes here have many barriers to providing dental/hygiene care (e.g. physical, psychological, financial and structural) and our data has shown that many residents are suffering with dental pain. I imagine it is a similar tune over there too. But we are all slowly recognizing the problems. Anyways, I can go on FOREVER on this topic so I shall stop and get some work done. Cheers.

B

Hello from a fellow new person!

S

Hi Lynn. My mum was in sheltered housing (not a nursing home, but bedsits with a lounge and warden) here for a couple of years and she needed a lot of dental work. At one point she went to A & E at the hospital and had some 'bits and pieces (?!)' removed as an emergency. It was grim.

We have a very nice private dentist - we couldn't find an NHS one with space for us.

L

Smilodon, thanks for your story. Sounds similar (minus the NHS) to what goes on here too with people with different care needs. I hope your Mom is okay.

U

I just joined the forumn. Nice to you all

B

Hi to everyone who is new to the forum and Happy New Year also. I have just been to an NHS dentist yesterday. I live in Bedfordshire and I am told it's one of the better regions in the UK for access to NHS Dentists. Still had to pay over £70 for NHS treatment although this included a part white filling - Ouch! Good luck with your research everyone for 2008 and keep your teeth in tip top shape while you are a PhD student