In need of a job-panic attack....

A

Hi everyone, just joined this forum. I'm starting my second year (PhD) and still haven't worked. I'm beginning to panic. How can I get a job in academics/industry on the basis of my PhD? My major is on ICT/Education- but I'm happy to explore other options.

D

Hi addyberry,

Have you had a look at this site? There are lots of job opportunities available on there and you can specifiy which areas you want to search for. Hope this helps!

D

Hi,

are you funded? you need to check with the regulations, normally you can't do more than 20 hours per week.

Do you have the time to work? In my second year I had to do the case studies, so it would have been impossible....

Check with your university services, as they can help you with the cv. There are different CVs for industry and academia. In many jobs you will need to write a cover letter, which takes up sooo much time (and is boring).
You can search for Research assistant jobs in your department, some students are offered teaching jobs (but not getting paid).

Would you consider tutoring-not necessarily tutoring in your department (obviously would be great but not always available) but tutoring second language speakers and international students or possibly A level students. Universities and private tutoring companies often have flexible tutoring positions that you can fit around your study and research and could be useful on a resume later on. Good luck with it all.