Info on the life of a phd

R

Hi..Lemme introduce myself as a postgraduate Msc International business management from the University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus. I am currently working in the stock broking industry. I am planning to embark on a phd from UK. Was looking for some inputs from you on the cons of this decision!..Do you think there will be great opportunities following this degree??

J

too vague a question - what sort of opportunities in what sort of field - if you want to stay in stockbroking/finance don't bother with the PhD; if you want a career as an academic or in a research position then the PhD might be worth doing BUT as an overseas student it will be VERY expensive

R

Planning to pursue it in the field of human resource management..wondering the career prospects there on..

If you are looking for a career as a practioner in HRM, rather than an academic you are far better off doing CIPD training and I think there are MCIPD - management versions as well. A PhD in HRM would be pretty much ignored in the workplace.

E

Yes, you need to think carefully about why you want to do the PhD. I wouldn't bet on it bringing you better career prospects or higher pay etc in corporate HR, you'd be better off spending those 3 or 4 years gaining experience in the workplace. If you're considering academia or are desperately keen to do research in this area, then it's a different matter.

R

Thanx guys for those replies!!!..