Interview

D

======= Date Modified 28 Dec 2010 09:19:31 =======
Hi all,
I am having an interview for research assistant post (Cell Biology) in new year. As I am an international student and being in UK for first time, can anyone help me out for interview preparation? What an interviewer may ask and so on guidance is required.

D

You need to know what the post entails, they should have sent you details ie 'job description'. They are likely to ask about your relevant experience so check out the job description and apply the things you have done previously to that. It may be that you have done previous lab work or studied in that field etc. If you are from abroad they may ask about how you will deal with living away from family/friends etc. Most questions will be related to the post you are applying for.

Make sure you are dressed smartly, take any relevant paperwork with you (perhaps copies for the interveiwers if necessary) and be interested! Check your travel arrangements before the day so that your are on time for the interview.

Good luck!

D

Hi, many thanks for your reply. I have checked my travel arrangements as well as decided to wear formal black trouser, white shirt and coat. I do have one year research experience so I will read my work.

Thank you very much for the help!

A

Hi guys

I have an interview as well but its telephonic so im quite relieved ;-) I am preparing myself for it very hard and I hope I speak fluently and confidently. Its very important that you don't say lots of "ummm" "well" in your answers cos its shows that you know what your speaking and you have a firm backgorund in the subject. So, in any interview I would not pause so much between sentences in my answer and take down notes/key words that i can refer to. Its not so embarrasing to refer to them cos this is actually a sign to the interviewer that you have preapred well and you have taken down notes cos this PhD really means a lot to you.

Good Luck!

AJ