It has come to this...

O

If you really want it, Chris, you'll definitely get an academic post one day. then you will also find your own textbooks and articles in the library

Hello BadHaircut. May I ask, is your PhD in the humanities? It does seem to be the case that the field is hugely oversubscribed, and the gap between graduating and an established position much tougher than in, say, lab-based degrees.

In any case, temp away and try to stay in the scene with publications. And conferences. And contacts.

I know this doesn't help you at the minute, but it might pay approach things realistically and to work besides studying for a PhD even if this cuts you off peers/delays your qualifying. I'm thinking aloud because that's exactly what I'm doing, and often think I miss out on being around students.

B

No, my PhD (which I finished a few months ago) is in psychology, so I guess somewhere in between the empirical and humanities. I would very much like to stay on the scene, but my current lifestyle (and political situation re: my ex supervisor) is making things difficult.

The worst thing is my friends who are hugely expectant that I am going to be chair at Oxford or something. A friend's boyfriend even laughed out loud "You did a PhD and you are working as a waiter, not so clever was that!?".

I tell a lie, the worst thing is the high possibility of eviction at the end of the month...

C

Badhaircut, I want to hear something positive from you! I am sure that if you look properly there is something in your life that works!
The person who made that comment is a stupid, so I wouldn't bother to reply to that. But I know, it hurts. I think that with your degree you could perhaps work in HR? It is something that would appeal to you? Is there anyone else in your department that can provide references for you? There are also international exchange programmes sponsored by the European Community to work for up to a year in a country within the EU. If you chose to work in Holland, or a Scandinavian country is not even necessary to have another language. I did it years ago, and it was great experience, and accommodation, meals and travel expences are paid. Wages are not great, but you can leave with it. And it's good for your CV. There are so many opportunities out there, you only need to stretch your hand out and grasp them!

B

There are some good things in my life. I have some really great friends and family. I also finished my Phd (didnt drop out).

C

Excellent! Now, all the above should give you the strength to react to your problems. I know that confidence is not a self-nurturing thing. It comes from the positive outcome of what you do and I understand that you don't perceive your current job as a 'good' outcome. That's because you have different talents, skills,and ideals, far from what you are doing now. But you need to realize that you are not living in a box without windows. This is a TEMPORARY situation - as others have pointed out. The choice is yours at this point: Do you choose to be defeated or do you want to fight? I have bad spells too when I don't want to listen to anyone's advise or encouragement. I want to be miserable in any possible way! But it's not the world against you or me or anyone. I feel that you are in the same situation now and I trust that you will realize soon that it's better to fight. And, by the way...smile! You will be surprised to see that people smile back to you.

R

badhaircut - your friend's boyfriend deserves an eye gouge.

In the meanwhile you get all positive about the future (as one should), you might consider laughing a LOT about your current situation. Eviction is, admittedly, a tough comedy topic, but the hospitality industry brings you into contact with people whom you'd probably only meet at the most advanced level of psychotherapeutical fieldwork. And even if you don't feel ticklish about it, waiting on people at an awful family restaurant can and will prove to you that you can endure any situation life throws at you, and (trust me) will make for wonderful anecdotes later on.

A

Hey badhaircut, hope you are well. Have you tried to get help from your university's career service? I know you have already finished your phd but graduates are still allowed to go back for careers advice.

I have recently started making use of my careers service and spoke to a brilliant careers advisor....there are so many options and opportunities out there! There are books/leaflets which discuss life after a phd, the next step for phd students etc. As well as info about casual jobs etc etc.

I know this is really simple and basic advice that you probably already know but its better to stay proactive and take charge of your career and where you want it to go. Maybe you already know where you want to go career wise but maybe you just need a guiding hand to point you in the right direction.

A

As for your current situation working in a restaurant- it's only temporary, many successful people have had to experience many 'glitches' along the way but it only makes them more determined to succeed- they appreciate their success more too. So just keep trying- you'll find your way sooner or later

B

Yeah, this is all good advice. I think some part of my realises that this is not forever. That I am young, I can do lots of things, etc.

However, there is another part of me is mourning the academic track job that I felt I was destined for. The one that I dreamed so hard about, and made all the sacrifices and put up with all the crap for. If I wasn't any good I would understand, but the other markers (completion time, publications, scholarships) suggest that I AM capable, but because of tangential reasons (internal politics, and funding) I am being denied.

I am sure in a few years time I will look back and say "I learned a lot", but right now it feels very dark.

B

I did visit the careers service at university, but it wasnt very useful. They said that from my answers that an academic/ teaching job would be best for my temprament/ skills (which I already knew, and is my problem). I do feel they are very much geared towards the undergraduate/graduate end of the market, and have a tougher time marketing the skills I picked up (e.g. Neuroimaging, health psychology). The soft skills of general project management, personel wrangling, and work discipline it seems most graduates have already.

N

In a seminar about getting an academic job I was told that some people who don't manage to get a proper academic job after they finish their PhDs do some tutoring/teaching for institutions specialized in distance or adult education such as the Open University or Birbeck College. I don't know whether this option is realistic but could help you gaining a bit of teaching experience...

P

I think you may find that Open University tutors would regard themselves as having a 'proper' academic job. Having done my undergraduate degree with the Open University and found it much harder than my MA at a 'proper' university, I get very annoyed when people belittle institutions such as the OU. If I was ever employing anybody the fact they had an OU degree as opposed to a conventional one would put them at the top of my list straightaway.
I apologise if I am being critical of views you might not actually hold but the tone of your post led me to believe your opinion of the OU was not as it should be.

P

After my mini-rant I decided to be more constructive. I am applying for OU teaching in my first year so Badhaircut you should be in a much better position to get work as an Associate Lecturer. I have just checked and there are vacancies for three psychology courses.
Starting with Psychology
Understanding Pyschology
Cognitive Psychology
If you go to the OU web page you can find more info about jobs. It's worth a try.