It has come to this...

P

As a past OU student for my MSc, I can say that you stand a good chance of a tutor position with a PhD. All my tutors seemed to have PhD's. I have applied to be a tutor and so far, have not managed to get a position, either because of area or the fact that I don't have a PhD (yet!).
As a side comment, I found the work load and standard of my OU MSc far more demanding than my 'on site' MSc that I did but didn't finish actually (ended with a PG Dip.). I will keep applying as I would actually really like to be a tutor.

B

Never had previously thought about the OU. Several of other PhD students I used to work with were very snobbish about it, but I always thought that it was a good thing, and that it allowed lots of different sorts of people to have opportunities that would previously be restricted to the few. Unfortunately, the snobs seem to be winning, as most of them are in gainful employment (some even having lectureships already), whereas I am...um, not.

I know from listening to others that the courses are quite rigorous, and the students are highly motivated. I will definitely apply to see if my skills can be used.

P

Oh, and as for OU cognitive psychology, DD303, I was on the first presentation of the new course in, ummm, I think 2005 and we were one of the first Unis to use E-Prime to programme and design cognitive tests using an online participant pool. Because the OU is so huge, they got a good deal from the owners of E-Prime so could afford it. It is a great course with extremely up to date information, not easy either. I did it as an extra to aid me with my MSc. The tutors gave day schools as well, which were fantastic. I would love to be a tutor on this course but will have to wait as they require a PhD for this one, so go for it

N

@pawn - I didn't mean to be offensive, I'm only stressing the fact that this option was presented to us as a backup "if things went wrong", and as if this kind of position involved little research (which is considered by many academics to be the best part about their jobs, as opposed to teaching) and lots of teaching. I have done a distance degree my self (not through OU though) and I know how hard it can be.

N

The last reply was for pamw obviously! Sorry I have misspelt your name.

L

Hiya,

I'm in a similar position to badhaircut - apart from the fact that I'm still writing up. Was doing tutoring at uni to get by, but now the summer holidays have come up, my income has disappeared. However, (even when I get depressed) I realise that in some ways I have chosen to put myself in this position. I hate research (no offence to anyone else!)and I'm bad at it too, so I have decided to pursue a different career. I really want to do Science Communication, and am applying for loads of jobs. I get interviews, but nothing doing. Have just 'sold out' to a temping agency in order to pay my rent. I'm not happy, but am realistic. I refuse to give up on my dream job. I know I could do it if someone will just give me a chance. Its difficult, but stay positive and try to find yourself encouraging people who will support you. (My careers advisors at uni are always over optimistic!)

L

Ok. I'm going to lower the tone and add a disney quote!!

You must face the age of not believing,
doubting everything you ever knew,
until at last you start believing
there’s something wonderful in you.

:o)

A

On the subject of essay mills...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6680457.stm

B

Hasn't stopped the demand though. They approved my application to work for them...

B

The good news is that I am no longer working as a waiter. One of the temping agencies came through and I am working in central london as a admin temp from Monday.

The bad news is that I have been evicted from the house I was living in and am now technically homeless. I am now in the enviable position of sofa surfing at a friend's home. Also things are not going well with gf, so am currently not in contact. Well they say the academic life is no friend of relationships right?

P

Oh, good news about the job, haircut, so sorry about the gf, maybe she will think again soon. Hang in there, at least you have a job and a 'sofa' I don't say this lightly, we were homeless many years ago with 3 children and had to stay in two friend's homes until we could find a place of our own.
Take care...it can only get better

B

So its been the first few days of my new job.

I am not sure that temping in admin beats being a waiter. Its less physically demanding, but its equally insecure. What I really cannot help feeling is that the work is repetitive, low level and boring. I know it sounds arrogant, but I feel smarter than the people I work with, most of whom embody a very limited world view.

I feel I deserve more than this, but my attempts to find more engaging and intellectually stimulating work keeps hitting obstacles. Most of the jobs I have asked about demand experience, and do not see my PhD as being "relevant" or "too narrow". I am astonished with some of the hostility that I have been met with when talking about my PhD, and the way employers seem to think they are self indulgences rather than achievements.

B

I think there maybe something detrimental about the solitary nature of the work. The careers counsellor from the university I attended said that most employers actively look for team playing skills, and graduate recruiters often have group tasks etc. If I am being honest I reckon during my studies I have become more obsessive, self directed, critical and controlling(otherwise my work would never have been done). This may not be what employers are looking for.

It may also be why my girlfriend has left, and why an earlier post talks about the romantic wasteland faced by PhD students. I wonder if many of us realise how we could become when we sign on?

K

Hello BHC - glad you have got a different job, hopefully something more suitable within your field will turn up soon

It's interesting what you say about becoming solitary. Since getting my job I have really noticed how independent I have become and more importantly, how I *like* it. Team meetings are nice to catch up with people personally, but I feel more like I can't be bothered with what eberyone else is doing, I just want to get in with my stuff. I know that sounds selfish, and at the start of my PhD I was very much a team player and needed to be part of a community. But I feel that's been gradually squeezed out of me.

K

When students start at the bottom of the ladder on a PhD, on of the hardest things they find to adjust to is the feeling of isolation. Especially those who have come up straight from an undergraduate degree, and are used to the camaraderie and sharing of deadlines, coursework material, etc. When you begin a research degree you are on your own, carting your subject area with you. And it is hard.

But as you progress in academia it becomes something that, rightly or wrongly, is the norm. The isolation that's experienced at first effectively becomes a “given”. You become used to working on your own; because that’s the way it works. When I started my job in the NHS I pretty much expected to be left alone and was really surprised when I was called to team events. But if you stay in academia you can become an "island" and not a part of the mainland, IYSWIM.