It's Done!

I went from the 'real world' to academia. And yes, academia is full of a considerable amount of b*******, but so was my 'real world' working life, and I didn't value what I was doing enough to stick that part out; I am with academia - I've been teaching for five years, doing a p/t PhD for 2, and it is very hard, but I would not swap it for anything.

When I left school I took a practical, manufactring qualifiction (HND), and I felt exactlyy the same way about that as you did about your PhD - not wanting to be there, feeling my life was going down completley the wrong path, and feeling I was lost, and my talents wasted.

Yes, I love my PhD! It is very, very hard, but that is part of what I like about it: ask people who climb mount everest, or run marathons why they want to do that - that's my idea of hell, but I accept their joy in what they do - would you say they protest too much?

As for the usefulness of a PhD, that's very subjectve, and also impossible to discern in our situation, so we can't advise on that basis, it must come down to the indivdual student to make that judgement.

I'm really happy you've found the right path for you, and if you feel strongly about our advice being one sided, then maybe an alternative forum for students who are thinking of quitting would be a good idea, we're just providing some camaraderie, encouragement and support here: that's our agenda.

G

Some people do actually give up in haste. To reach a level where someone starts enjoying PhD, you have to go through an up hill kind of struggle may be like climbing Everest or running a mega marathon. The pain is more of a spiritual nature as I have experienced. But believe me after all that I can go through any research paper on my subject like a story book. That all i will say my friends. This discussion will get us nowhere.

T

Quote From eska:

I'm really happy you've found the right path for you, and if you feel strongly about our advice being one sided, then maybe an alternative forum for students who are thinking of quitting would be a good idea, we're just providing some camaraderie, encouragement and support here: that's our agenda.

Eska, are you directing this at Karl or guitarman?
Just a bit worried that the latter is getting a bit of a slating for a thread he didn't revive, and where he's already acknowledged that people who were pro-phd made good points. :s
I always think that people instinctively gravitate towards the advice that rings true for them, whilst I'm constantly grateful for the "keep going" messages I get on here, I do think it's valid to have an alternative story such as this for anyone who really does want/need to quit and feels alone in that.

K

My post was directed at Karl for what it's worth- I agree that GM had been quite gracious in accepting people's criticism on this thread already.

T

I can understand that keep_calm, if Karl's join date wasn't so far back I'd have suspected the antics of you-know-who :p
Just wanted to make sure GM didn't feel under siege.

Hi Teek, sorry, yeah, I wrote that in haste. I confused the two, thanks for pointing that out. I agree that it's good to have all views here, I'm not saying it should be one sided (or veen that it is - people usually say things on te lines of it's your decision etc), just that if people think it is biased, whicis very possible given our agenda, then perhaps they should do something about it and create something of their own to balance that. The poeple here are genuine and are tyring to help, when they don't have to, so complaints like this irk me. I saw red I suppose.

Hi Guitarman,

I read your extended post/threads and responses back when I was taking study leave and getting really caught up in everything to do with study and my own thesis, etc. I am so glad it worked out for you and it's great to read that you've finished, you're happy and you are now moving on! I'm hoping that I'll be posting in a 'passed the finish line' post in about 6 to 8 weeks for my Masters. For me, it may or may not be the end of the postgrad for a little while-I'm still unsure-but I'm leaving myself space to think and really learned a lot from your post and all of the responses and those like it.

So long and thanks for all the fish....

G

======= Date Modified 16 58 2010 19:58:39 =======
First of all, I could not recognize the date as above. Guitarman are you sure you have not crossed the dimensions where rest of us are stationed at the moment? If you have, then congratulations to have broken the barrier in which people like me have been trapped for decades! May be we need a time machine to do that?

G

Thanks Teek & Eska - yes indeed, I respect everybody's decision. Of course many love their PhDs and that is great! The most important things are happiness and health :) I'm just so, so happy that I've found the path that is right for me - the company I work for right now is just incredible - close to home, great people, really interesting work, low stress - I hope it lasts forever! :D

djlu - did you also defer to an MSc then?

Sorry Goodboy - I didn't understand your message (though to be fair, I'm just up! :o )