Lara's Writing Up Diary - inspired by Jojo

L

Hi Tractorgirl, thanks for your message you're right, we just gotta do the prep to prepare for the real thing.

i will contact the university and they will send me a list of binder places. i remember now its in with the exam forms.you just have to write to them and they send you a list of binders.

and when i go in with my meeting with the sups. i will look at one of the post docs thesis, even though its from a different uni. and see how she had her thesis done with regards to the layout on the spine and front cover.

thanks for your offer though.

how are you doing? you working on your thesis over the weekend ?

E

this may be of some help with respect to the binding of a thesis for examination at QMU, but still confirm this with your supervisors.

see section 3.6.2

http://www.qmu.ac.uk/quality/documents/prof_doc_regs_june08.doc

E

oops, sorry just realized i pointed to wrong university regs (qmu not qmul). The same/similar rules will probably still apply. Hope this helps.

L

thanks ex student, thats so nice of you! i appreciate that :)

E

Hi Lara,

you probably should ignore what I said,

I have found this which may be more relevant

http://www.studentadmin.qmul.ac.uk/students/theses.pdf

E

in particular, section 10

S

i can have my thesis printed and bound professionally within a day or two if i pay more (which i probably will end up doing with my freaky deadline), isn't that service available where you live lara? 2 weeks is rather a long time.

T

Hi!

Yep, working on it this weekend! I feel i have to do some of it (even if it is just little things like the acknowledgments or sorting the odd figure out) each day or i am worried i won't meet the deadline!! It was Friday 15th August, but like you i am now going to hand it in on the Monday (18th) to give me the weekend to do final checks of each chapter and get the files into PDF format!
I just feel i have so much left to do!!! Oh well, just keep going i guess. glad you found your thesis binding info, and hope your day is going well. I am now having a tea break before going back to it!!

T

Well,

didn't get much done at all yesterday! Had a bad headache and today can't seem to get into work as i'm off out this afternoon. Think i might make a list of work for next week and work ultra hard then. Feel a bit guilty but i'm hoping the break will do me good. Mean worrying about my next chapter a lot so hoping i can come back to it fresh tomorrow, fingers crossed!!

T

Sorry, mean worrying should read been worrying!!!!!!!!!!!

H

Lara, is it worth taking your list of things to do and separating 'things that need to be done' from 'things that need to be done by YOU'?

For example, your thesis needs to be written by you. But although you need to know how to get it bound, finding that out could be done by someone else, surely? Is there anyone you could delegate that sort of thing to (such as a final year student who has a bit more time than you do and needs to find out for themselves anyway).

I'm just thinking it might save you time, and help you to focus on the tasks that can only be done by yourself.

L

thanks Hazyjane, that's very good advice

i have this terrible habit, of feeling like a burden if i ask for help from other people. but it is a good idea.

the thesis binding, information, i have found out, I looked into my examination form pack. and i have emailed the research degree examination office for addresses of binders that are available in central london

also in the letter in the examination form pack: it speaks about binding:

binding: in the first instance candidates should submit two copies of their theses:

two of which are soft bound.

be covered in medium blue cloth

be lettered in gold up the spine with
degree, year and surname and initials in the same form as the college records, with letters 16 or 18 point

soft bound thesise should have the pages glues in.

i will email my old collegue and ask her what her thesis looks like, on her spine and front cover, since she is QMUL.

unless anyone on this forum has seen a phd from QMUL ?

L

ex student, thanks so much for the link. thats really helpful! i just read it, and its similar to the letter that i recieved. although in the pdf file that you sent. it states 3 copies. and in my letter it says 2 copies. so i am going to email the research degree examination office and ask them.

L

oh just realised that its the UOL regulation that require blue cloth and gold lettering, not just specific for QMUL, so that means i can actually look at a collegue of mines thesis, to see what her thesis spine looks like etc. when i go in for the big dreaded meeting with the dragons

L

swantje, sorry i should have clarified, you are right, binding takes about 2-3 days. i am just being ultra paranoid lol. and leaving myself 2 weeks before my DEADLINE date, to get my thesis printed and bound.

i am thinking of getting my thesis printed, by a printing shop. as it will be easier i think. i will convert my thesis to a pdf, and give it to them on a cd or something. and ask them if they have the good quality paper etc aswell.