Most Academics are Sick People

M

I have seen several academics destroy the careers of their students for small and petty reasons.
Once an academic turns against a student, he or she will make sure that the student does not succeed in his/her chosen field.
They will do everything in their power to destroy a student's career.

J

Having a bad day, Metal?

A

metal- may I ask if you are considering to become an academic?

A

*Most* academics? A sweeping generalisation, don't you think?!

D

What's happened?

G

Very much a sweeping generalisation in my opinion. On reflection you surely must realise what a ridiculous statement your by-line was Metal.

M

I am not surprised to see some budding academics being hurt by truth.

D

Look metal what's up?

M

Nothings up. I just said what is true.

R

What truth? You have made a statement but have provided no examples or information to support your case. For all we know there may have been a lot more to the story than you are letting on here. The student may be just as much to blame. Also, I dont think you can state that it is truth. Have you performed some sort of nationwide survey? I would guess a lot of academic want to keep in with the next gen of students, so in the future they can collaberate etc. You never know where your student may end up.

While there may be academics out there who may do that, there are probably a lot who wouldnt. Also, in the land of real work, I beleive that this sort of thing happens as well. Yet I doubt you would state that every boss is out to destroy the careers of their employees (Or maybe you would).

D

Are you doing a PhD?

M

Richmond wrote:
The student may be just as much to blame.

Richmond,
Thats so typical of an academic. If a student does something teacher does not like, the teacher has the right to destroy his/her career. I have nothing else to prove to you. Your entire post is a proof in itself.

dee2005,
Yes I am studying for a PhD.

R

What? How is that proof. I am merely pointing out that there are two sides to every story. Your supervisor is your boss. Just like in a real job. If you shout and throw stuff at your supervisor, no matter how good you are (or think you are), or indeed how right you are, you are not going to have a good relationship and the super will make life difficult. The same is true in a real job. No matter if you are right or not, if you go against your boss, or if you shout or throw stuff at them, you will find it very hard to carry on under him in that company.

If you are saying you messed up an experiment and now life is hard then maybe you have a case.

M

I do not have any trouble with my current supervisor but have come accross people (academics) who tried their best to destroy other students' careers. I myself had to deal with one such lunatic during my masters at a very reputable school. I know several students who were the victims of academics.

Richardson,
You are right. People like these exist outside the academia too.

M

I am sorry Richmond. I typed your name incorrectly.

Well its a proof because you admit that there are many academics who do actually destroy other people's careers.