Most Academics are Sick People

G

You think thats 'proof' Metal...and you're actually doing a PhD?

R

I have not myself ever come across it. However, I do not dispute that it may happen, just as it does in the work place. I dont think that is really proof though (a bit like WMD, beleiving they may exist does not mean that they do exist)

I was looking more for some explanation to back up what you say, i.e. relate these stories. Otherwise it is very hard for people who have not seen it to understand it. For example I have known students who thought they could do whatever they liked, wanted to research this or that. Of course this was not what the supervisor wanted them to do that. They fall out and things deteriate. They were undergrads, so were not really in a position to do what they want (heck, I dont think a lot of postdocs do what they want). In this case, they really should have done what the super said and I have little sympathy for them.

M

golfpro,
you actually expect a proof on an internet forum and you actually are a Phd?

Richmond
your analogies are funny. On one hand you accept the existence of such people and on the other, you deny it. BTW, the students I know did not want to do whatever they liked or research this or that.

Its probably the academic environment. The academics are there for too long and ultimately lose their cool and get "sick".

G

I tend to expect logical, reasoned argument. Making wild and frankly ridiculous statements generalising from your very limited personal experience to the whole of the academic world is going to get ridiculed on here. Suprise.

M

golfpro,
You are perfect stereotype of a typical opinionated teacher/academic. If you dont agree with someone or something, you find it ridiculous. There is no point in proving anything to someone like you.

G

But you're not proving anything. All you're doing is saying I [and a couple of friends] had a bad expereince with an academic[s]. Thats not proof. Its just a very narrow personal opinion. It certaintly isn't grounds to suggest most academics have mental health problems. Prove it to me that 'Most Academics are Sick People'.

R

I said that it would not surprise me that those sort of people exist. I have no personal evidence that academics act like that. None at all, and I have worked in labs in three different universities. I am therefore purely assuming from my knowledge of human nature. It would be foolish and naive of me to assume that because I have never experineced it must not be true (but that does not MAKE it true). However, in the same sense it is somewhat foolish and naive of you to assume most academics act that way from your limited knowledge of academia.

We are still waiting for some sort of evidence. For you to relate the tale of these horrific incidences so we may judge them. Then we may understand. At the moment you have made a wild accusation, you have provided nothing to back it up, and then you are getting annoyed that we dont just beleive and accept your point of view.

M

What proof do you need? There is no need of proof as it is a well established fact that some narrow-minded people will refuse to accept. I know several such academics at a single school (a very reputable one). At least you have accepted that it has happened to me and some people I know.
BTW, there are many people I know who have suffered at the hands of sick academics. The problem with sick academics (which includes most of them) is that they refuse to accept they are sick just like most patients at a mental institution.

M

Richmond,
I am not annoyed. I find it amusing to see some academics getting hurt by the truth.
I know truth hurts.

G

To sum up what you're basically saying in a sentence is, I'm right because I say I’m right and anyway everyone knows I'm right [so there!]. The only problem is no one agrees with you. Indeed I'd be amazed if anyone on here actually did agree with you [not for the reasons you think].

There are a variety of options available if you are having difficulties with a supervisor. The approach you appear to be taking isn't one I'd personally follow.

Signing off on this one obviously.

R

I accept that it may have happened to you, though I am not completely convinced as you have still not provided any evidence. I generally try and give people the benifit of the doubt. Though the lack of explanation as to what happened is making me doubt you more and more. There is no truth at all. Narrowminded is stating something with no evidence and assuming you are correct.

As for the rest, ditto to Golfpro. Signing off.

L

Not all academics are mean! The academics in my school are mainly lovely! My supervisor is very helpfull! so please dont be down on all academics - one day I want to be an academic and would draw inspiration from the people I work with!

T

Troll alert...haven't had one of those on here for a while

C

I say good job we are all training to be academics!! It's better to BE a sicko than be on the receiving end of a sicko!

M

Some of these academics may be very capable people as far as their subjects are concerned.
The problem is that the sick academics not only harm students, they damage the sanctity of an educational institution.
Staying in the academia for too long and watching their students get better jobs, career and life can be the major reason for becoming sick.