Motivational/Personal Statement Help

J

Hi there everyone! Having been out of education for 3 years I am not sure what kind of things to put in my MA application. I want to study International Relations/History/Sociology but for no reason other than to be forced to read and learn stuff. What other, better reasons are there that are acceptable for the form? Is it rather a case of advertising why you are so great at studying the subject? I really cannot remember what bullshit I wrote for my BA application and need to get back into the swing of it so any advice on what they're looking for would be much appreciated.

G

Try not including the words 'forced and 'bullshit' for a start. Good luck.

B

Just work-up "forced to read" into something that sounds better. Like "I would relish the opportunities provided by a structured environment for furthering my studies" or "taking this course will help me focus and develop my interest in this subject in an intellectually stimulating environment". That kind of thing.

J

Thanks for that helpful comment golfpro, I think you must be the smartest person I know.

L

Hi,
What have done in the last three years? I was out of academics for two years after my undergraduate degree and then decided to go for a Masters. Your fields seem to very general in subject coverage and this lends well to what your essay might center on. Why not write about a personal anecdote that might link into these fields and elaborate on how your background, this particualar anecdote and your passion for learning have lead you to write your essay. A useful resource for postgraduate programs in the UK is www.postgrad.com - could give you some direciton. There's a helpful "Making an application" page under "applying for a postgrduate program." Good luck!

E

Try googling Personal Statement and specify Havard, the samples were very helpful, just written one myself!

H

Hi

I have just written one myself and been accepted on both universities, this is the formula I chose to follow:

How to write a personal statement

BE PERSONAL, FRESH AND DIFFERENT, WRITE IN FIRST PERSON, EXPRESS YOURSELF CLEARLY AND CONCISELY, USE ADJECTIVES AND ACTIVE VOICE VERBS, ADHERE TO WORDS LIMITS (300-500 WORDS) – REVISE REVISE REVISE

INTRO
•Career plan, your interests – ideally a distinctive example that’s specific to your experience
•Mention specific name of the study/program and the degree.

BODY PARAGRAPHS (examples)
•Your own qualifications (degree/work experience)
•Compatibility with the program/position
•Strengths of the program
•Career goals

CONCLUSION
•Wrap up the issues raised and reiterate your interest
•Might also mention how this is a step towards a long term goal

Good luck