My Phd Blog

B

I enjoy my trips to the blog, and even if it was a hoax, which I don't believe it to be, it makes me giggle! Keep going!

J

Thanks guys,

I can assure you that its not a hoax- im sitting here in the phd room on my own (everyone else is skiving) trying to write a questionnaire- Yawn!

xx

R

I think why procrastinator finds this blog hard to believe is that it vomits sunshine!! ( that phrase reminds me of a particular episode of Scrubs ) It's almost too sqeeky clean.

you forget that many people on this forum arn't having a nice time with their doctorates and therefore they like nothing better than to berate other people on this forum for asking questions and/or not being miserable.

T

The general feeling around here (present company excused) seems to be that a PhD should be very very hard, should consume every waking minute, and no-one should be allowed to have a holiday, a relationship, or a nice time while they are doing one. Well done for admitting preferring sunbathing to PhDing!

R

I agree completely trillian - and that is what rjb is saying on his other thread too... If it's not doom and gloom then people around here just don't want to hear it! I think Jola's blog is like a ray of sunshine

R

I was told by my supervisor that I should of been working 60 hours a week during my PhD. B*llsh8t I hear you say!!! I thought so.

I suppose it depends on the kind of research you are doing, the pressure put on you by your supervisor and other research groups (if it is a collaboration) and your own attitude to the research. Some people treat PhDs just like another job, for others it's their entire life!!

I know plenty of people who get by with 40 hour week in their first year but that is not to say this works for everyone!!

I know when I was doing mine I did a 9-5 but on an average day would probably get very little done becuase I would be easily distracted by emails, facebook, wikipedia or just even general chatting in the office and the fact that I just hadnt got a clue what I was doing !!!

I would say most people could get enough work done 9-5 if they are focused enough.

R

just read your blog Jola. very nicely written. keep it up

J

Hey guys

I like your blog too!

I would say that I am at work from 9-5 and some days I work like a demon and time flies by, and others I wonder from site to site on the internet being distracted. Sometimes I am happy, relaxed and confident and love my work, sometimes I feel low, unable to match the task and stressed. That's a PhD to me. It's not a full-on, completely full-time crazy-genius type of experience. It's my job. And I never take myself too seriously.

P

I really like your blog too, Jola. It's become a regular part of my own daily PhD avoidance routine! (NB: I am not to be confused with p'nator.)

C

WORD, Jayney.