New PhD student

P

Hiya!

I am a new PhD student and am brand new to this forum!

Do any of you have any gems of advice regarding the PhD? I would be very grateful! At the moment, I feel a little overwhelmed by it all and am finding the transition from taught MSc to research PhD a difficult one!

Thanks for reading!

Anne

C

I don't have any advice as I'm a new PhD student myself (starting on Monday!), but welcome!

P

Hiya!

Thank you for your swift responses!
My PhD is in community care at the tizard centre, university of Kent. My supervisors seem great and seem to be very supportive.
I have started to collect some really interesting and relevant papers. I am thinking of summarising and taking notes of each paper I come across onto my laptop to form a background for my literature review. What do you think??

R

That was a good piece of advice by Bibi. Anne, apart from just handling your own research, you should not forget that there exist an advisor, a committee and may be collaborators (depending on the project). My 2 cents,
1. Always write things down.
2. Get feedback regularly
3. Meet fact to face with your advisor/committee/collaborators
4. Keep them aware of your progress regularly
More details at: http://www.educatedbeing.com/2006/09/28/how-to-avoid-frustration-due-to-expectations-in-graduate-school/

I have learned them from my mistakes. I hope you won't make them.
Good Luck.

I would also like to know what others think about it. Feel free to add to the list :)