New to it all

L

Hi all. I've just started my PhD. Everyone around me seems well motivated and supportive which is great. But I can't help having niggling fears at the back of my mind.

Here's to the next three years ... I hope. :-)

B

Welcome to the PhD journey! Good luck for the next 3 years.

M

Welcome, L_E. :-) I think at times we all have niggling fears at the back of our minds - more than just niggling fears sometimes!

:-)

L

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Loads of reading to do.....

R

Hi OP, don't worry I felt (feel) the exact same. I stared on November 1st last and still I'm constantly asking myself if I'm able for this at all.

It really is a scary experience. Everyday I think...am I suited to a phd, do I have the dedication, do I have an ability to investigate something and produce a worthy document, are my ideas even worthy enough to begin with......

I have 3 1/2 years on my scholarship so I'll be right along with you all the way.....

Can I ask what field your in?

Good luck with it all
;-):-)

L

I'm in pharmaceutics. The actual project is multidisciplinary though.

P

Hi!
I started my 4 year PhD course officially in Sept but was just doing training courses and rotations. I am due to start my real project next week, *eek!*
Seriously, everyone I have spoken to says they have the same worries about motivation, it's natural. I had a panic over Christmas, wondering if I was good enough or whether I should just get a boring job and forget about an academic career, but now I'm back surrounded by papers and thinking about the wonders of the brain I realise that it suits me, hehe.

R

Hey,

I know exactly how you feel! I start my 6 months probation in February, and I'm spending most of my time panicking that i'm really not going to do well. I know my supervisors are really positive, they've already sent my security forms off for working in egypt etc etc, but I'm just terrified that i'm not clever enough!! So don'tworry, you're not the only one!!

Ratchit x

L

Quote From ratchit:

Hey,

I know exactly how you feel! I start my 6 months probation in February, and I'm spending most of my time panicking that i'm really not going to do well. I know my supervisors are really positive, they've already sent my security forms off for working in egypt etc etc, but I'm just terrified that i'm not clever enough!! So don'tworry, you're not the only one!!

Ratchit x

Egypt? Sounds cool. 8-)

R

well hopefully, but i'm still pooing myself over all of it, I'm having to learn Arabic in my spare time and everything :s