No manners or Humanity yet doing a PhD

G

Gingerly, I'm a british-born Indian so you could say I have the best of two worlds. I have also travelled widely and lived and worked abroad for a while. What does this have to do with the price of petrol?

G

God, petrol is so expensive these days. I was watching on the local news earlier a place that converts your engine to run on sunflower oil. Works out about 72p a litre apparantly.

G

I think there is no need for the harassment seen on this forum. Everyone asks stupid questions sometimes, I know I do. :)

G

They are the ones harrassing the forum!

G

Being an "Immigrant" from "Immigrania" myself, I feel I also have the best of both worlds. Therefore, I can sympathize (to an extent). Things work differently in other countries and being rude is not a way to welcome them. Besides, English might be their second or third languages in this case, cudos for them for branching out!

G

Hey guys. I am a foreigner (Italian) by the way, I feel no one has been rude here and I agree that those people are the ones that don't contribute to the forum...They don't care, I rarely see them reply and give advice, so just relax a little...

G

Thanks for your input, Matt. It's not necessarily about them being foreign students. It's just the 'I want this' and then they never say anything more. Maybe if they made some constructive input, such as saying 'this is what i've done already about it, but could do with a few extra pointers' we'd help more. Or if they came back and said 'thanks for your advice, i acted it on but this happened' then we'd welcome them with open arms.

G

Ok, Beers for everyone. That shall calm the nerves. Tuborg anyone?

G

I was looking at doing a PhD in the USA and in holland, france and italy. I didn't once just ask for them on here, I spoke to prospective supervisors. I decided to stay in england in the end, but still, I looked at other countries and had no troubles, so these people shoud be ok with PhDs in england

G

...those were countries that also used the same alphabet and not to mention similar cultures. Try applying to one in Hong Kong , or Sri Lanka.

G

Oooo Hong Kong is a fabulous place! Dunno about living there though, it is rather pongy and warm. I speak (some) mandarin but was totally useless grrrr. But yeah, I see the point you're making Gingerly. And mine's an Old Speckled Hen if you're still offering beer :D