Part time PHD - even possible

R

Hi there,
I need some advice regarding a job offer and a possible combination with a phd thesis. Currently I work as a technician in a cell biology research group at the university. My master thesis is nearly complete, there are only a few pages left to write and everything will be complete latest in October. I have nearly 10 years of working experience, so I am not a complete newbie in the lab.
Now, yesterday I got an offer from the group leader: She wants me to apply for the job as lab manager in the group. They have currently approximately 30 students working full time in cell culture and microbiology and the lab is a real mess. They clearly need some one desperately and I would be their dream candidate. The job is planned to take 50 % of my time.. do you think it is unreasonable to ask if its possible to start a phd with the other half of my time?

I am experienced enough to know that I could never complete a half time phd in only 3 years, I estimate it will more likely take 4-5 years depending on the quality of my data. I am very dedicated to science and able to nest experiments into each other to get most out of my time, so I guess it would be possible. I would plan to do literature related stuff at home in the evening (especially since I have a toddler and have fixed working hours because of parenting duties).

Any comments from phd students who have more experience here?
Thanks in advance,
Rina

S

hi Rina
I think it's a great idea to ask about starting a phd together with your new role as lab manager! How about approaching the group leader about it? Have you thought about securing funding for the phd?

She already knows what you can offer as lab manager but chances are she'll be interested to hear about your phd plans. Make sure you plan your proposed phd project (include the topic, steps and progress schedule), prepare it well before you see the project leader :-)

Go for it :-)
love satchi

H

In theory the idea of doing a PhD part time while having a lab manager job doesn’t sound like a bad arrangement. However, this:

They have currently approximately 30 students working full time in cell culture and microbiology and the lab is a real mess. They clearly need some one desperately and I would be their dream candidate.

rang alarm bells with me.

I’ve never tried doing two part time things but I gather that one of the biggest challenges is ensuring that both things only take up the agreed amount of time i.e. if a situation is supposed to be a 50:50 split, it’s all too easy for it to become a 60:40 split or even a 60:60 one!

The risk with the scenario you describe is that it might take well beyond 50% of your time to get the situation under control, especially in the beginning. Another problem is that if your lab manager role would involve any element of ‘Come to me with your problems and I will help you with them’, how would you stop people trying to get this kind of help from you on your PhD days/hours? You would have to be very assertive and clear with people about when they can approach you, or else all your PhD time might be eaten up with ‘If you’ve just got a minute…?’ type requests.

Also consider whether someone whose lab is in such dire need of management and reorganisation will make a good PhD supervisor. 30 students?! How much supervisory support would you yourself receive?

It might be worth having a trial run as a full/part time lab manager there for a few months before committing yourself to the PhD. Being full time initially would allow you a clear focus to sort things out and get systems in place, before establishing the space you need for your own studies. It would also give you a better chance to assess whether a PhD in that environment would actually be feasible.

I think you can do it but it is definitely pretty difficult. I work as the Middle School curriculum coordinator (which is a bit like a deputy head but not quite as full on) in a school. The role is very much full time, and I do my PhD part-time.

It is a real challenge made a little easier by the sorts of holidays teachers get. And by the fact that in two years when I really need to write up a reasonable draft, I will be able to take about 3 months full time leave to get a head start.

But often during peak times, such as reporting, starts and finishes of the year, and when any new curriculum change comes about -just about every other week it seems!:)-
I do very little on it bar thinking and a bit of reading or tweaking the lit review. I try to make up for this at other times by working intensely in long blocks.

Emotionally it can be a bit difficult as well, as you sort of have to just keep on with it through the most dispiriting times and moments. However, that being said, I am not going to chuck it in. It's a worthwhile topic-even if it just expands my own knowledge and expertise-and the challenge is a bit like long distance running-hurts like hell and sometimes you go fast and other times you stagger on or rest for a little while-but getting there in the end is a worthy aspiration.

Good luck-and don't forget as well, you could always apply and then defer your start date for a year to give yourself a chance to master the job a bit and just have a break from the Masters work.