Part-time vs. Full-time PhD in UK

A

Hello,

I am very interested to do a PhD study and I am working now in the industry field but I am willing to do a part-time PhD in the UK. My question is: If I conducted a part-time PhD successfully, will the part-time statement be mentioned in the certificate or the final certificate will be same like full-time PhD, so no one could recognize if it was full or part time PhD study?

With best regards

In terms of the qualification- a PhD is a PhD- and your degree certificate will not mention that it was part-time. It will simply state that on such and such a date, you were awarded the degree of Doctor of Philosophy-it may also specify the area but I am not sure if they all do. I think mine will say Doctor of Philosophy (Education) for example. (That is when i do actually get it!)

When it appears on your resume or CV you may include the dates, and this is where it would be apparent that you were a part-time candidate. However, you don't necessarily have to include the start and finish dates-it would depend on how you were organising your CV-or whether you wanted to highlight the years you spent on this course of study.

I've found a part-time PhD is a bit of 'different animal' to the full-time version. Not in term's of final knowledge or learning-just in the way you learn and the rate at which you learn it. The experience of the part-timer can be qualitatively different to that of a full-timer. An example being, I find it hard to really get in and contribute to the life of the faculty, as a part-timer. I know if I were a full time candidate, I would be much more involved in aspects of the faculty life and goings on.

However, I console myself with the fact that I do become very involved in my professional working life and I use the knowledge gained in my doctoral studies to extend my professional knowledge and expertise. At a recent seminar, when I was bemoaning the fact that my degree was only part-time, several of the academics present pointed out that in my faculty, the part-time PhD student was the norm-and this was often the case in faculties that prepared students for professional life (education, technology, nursing and medicine and similar).

H

Hi, I read your post as if you're hoping you could almost hide the fact that your PhD was part time. I'd say the opposite, actually. I have done mine full time, but I think if you've combined it with working, even on a part time basis, that's an immense achievement and you should be proud, and open of that. Good luck!

A

Thank you for your replies. Yes it would be very challenging but in my opinion the way worth it for it. I think at the end if someone needs some years he can switch from part-time to full-time easily or would be that fixed once the PhD is initiated?

Best regards