Pay & PhD!

F

Hi everyone!

I wanna know how much a PhD student may earn doing a PhD in UK. I know that it's depending on where I will apply for but I wanna get the hang of it,more or less!

Thanks

Fabry

V

Hi Fabry- as a rule PhD students don't 'earn' anything; if you are accepted as a student you will have to pay fees and provide for your own maintenance/living costs etc.

However, if you are lucky enough to be awarded funding or a scholarship then you will receive some contribution either to fees, maintenance or both. Needless to say this varies depending upon your status (home/overseas student) and between universities and subjects- all of which often have different funding competitions and rules. I think your best bet would be to contact the department and potential supervisor where you would like to study and they should be able advise you from there.... Hope that helps..

K

From my own research and talking to my friends I think that if you get full funding then you get approx £12k each year, with an additional £2k if you are in London. If you are doing a CASE or Wellcome PhD this can add up to £5k more on top of that.

K

Also, while these amounts may not sound a lot, bear in mind that you will not pay tax or national insurance on a bursary, which makes quite a difference. If you want to get a better idea of what's out there, look on jobs.ac.uk, where most PhD stipend figures are published with the invitations to apply

F

Hi everyone,

thank u so much for the replies!!!!
Im really wondering!!I knew that a normal PhD student could earn something doing his 'job'!!!

For example, in Italy a PhD student may earn 700 Euro each month!( 469,2856 Pound - 878,1845 Dollars).

Im Italian and I will finish my studies next spring;
I'd like to start a PhD in the UK but...,I think now I must try to look for a fellowship as soon as possible!

Hope to find others replies on here!

Fabry

F

I forgot: I'll be postgraduated when I'll move in the UK.

......I will move......I hope!!!

B

I would love to earn £4692856 a month.

F

BurgerKing,

Im not kidding!

In Italy that's a normal PhD student's stipend!

This is the reason why I was really wondering as soon as what Vince wrote has come to my knowledge!!

Well, I must look for a job then.

I apologize for my english!

A

Burgerking is picking up on your lack of a decimal point i.e 700 EUR is approximately 469 GBP. However, £469 would not go far in the UK. It would be very difficult to live on £469 per month if that was all you had to rent somewhere to live, feed and clothe yourself.

When Vince said that PhD students didn't 'earn', he meant that they are not usually given a salary, instead they (the lucky ones) are awarded a stipend or bursary to enable them to complete their studies. Entitlement to stipends/bursaries will depend on the funding body.

F

Sure Ann!!!

sorry for being misunderstood!!

For 'earn' I meant a sort of scholarship,fellowship or something like that!!!

I will try to contact them directly!

A

Good luck!

P

Fabry don't apologize for your english. I love it.

V

Hi Fabry!- apologies for slightly misunderstanding your question; as Ann says all I meant was that PhD students don't receive a 'salary' as a rule.

From experience funding is fairly complicated for UK students- there are research councils that provide funding, universities that have their own funding competitions and even separate funding competitions in university departments.
I hope it is less complicated for overseas students and good luck!

N

Yes, there are not really many opportunities for EU students. You can apply for a Research Council scholarship but they will only pay your fees, not your living costs. I would try for University- or department-specific scholarships. However, this is a though job because there aren't standards, you will have to select the universities or departments you are interested in and navigate their "funding" sections.

F

Hi everyone,

so I think I must check out if there are scholarship,bursary or something like that directly in the Department of the University I want to work for.

In the last post,Kronkodile has adviced me a website where I can find such interesting job offers.

I'm pretty confused.