Pay & PhD!

K

Hiya, www.jobs.ac.uk is a UK site that mainly advertises academic positions, so you'll see adverts for lectureships, professor posts and so on. However there are a fair few PhD studentships advertised as well, depending on your chosen area - worth a look as they sometimes indicate what the PhD stipend/bursary pay will be

F

Hi Krokondile,

I find that site such interesting but there's a thing I dont understand: reading some offers it seems to me they dont demand requirements ,such as: experience,knowing english tongue....

so I think: is finding a job too much easy then?? or this job offers are mainly indicated for UK students?

Let me know something else about that please!

sorry for my english again!

Fabry

N

I don't think it is that easy at all. Most universities include only the minimal requirements, which is usually an undergraduate degree, possibly with 2:1 or above. But above these minimal requirements the sky is the limit, and a lot of applicants will have a masters, or experience, or publications etc. It depends on your subject and on your university, but most scholarships are highly competitive.

K

Agree with what Nimrod says.

Also the website may not have the full details, just a brief overview of the vacancy that is available. If you look at universities' own web pages or request more detailed info directly from them, they will list their requirements more specifically

F

Thanks so much guys!

See you in the Uk then!! I hope!

F

Another question!

But do PhD courses start necessary on Sept? Or maybe can I start it when there is the availabililty in the University I choose?

C

They don't all start in September, best to ask.

J

Re: decimal points in numbers: Fabry was using the correct notation for Europe (a comma, not a decimal) The UK is the odd one out in that sense.

F

Hi Juno,

thanks for wot u said!! I didnt know this difference!

We are pretty different! but I love your tongue!

J

I didn't know until we had some exchange students visiting from Milan; and also the Germans use the comma as well, or so they said.

I'm trying to learn Dutch myself: it's fun but the more I try to speak it, the more I appreciate the flexibility of English. No wories about gender or separable verbs or sentence structure...no wonder the English are lazy at learning other languages.

Where in Italy do you live?

F

Hi Juno,

I originate from Sicily, southern of Italy but I study in Rome for 5 years.

I think learning english it's pretty hard,even if the structure of verbs and the basics are easy.....more or less!

Are you from Uk instead? Why do you like learning Dutch!

bye

J

Hi Fabry,

I'm from the UK, yes. I'm trying to learn Dutch because in my field (phytochemistry) much of the research is based in the Netherlands. I know Dutch people speak English but I want to be able to speak at least a little Dutch in return. And it's a bit different; in the UK many people speak a little French or German, but not many people study Dutch.

A lot of people who learnt English as a second language have complained to me about the pronunciation of English words and the inconsistent spelling...so I suppose English may be just as hard to learn as anything else.