Periods gone hay-wire (girls only!!!)

L

For the last 9 months, my periods have been crazy... (No chance I'm pregnant tho, if I'm in bed, all I want to do is sleep!!!)
They're late....early....skipped....really heavy...barely there...
The docs say there is nothing wrong, and its probably due to PhD stress....
Am I alone here??

J

If docs say there's nothing wrong, then don't worry. Could well be stress from reading your other posts.

M

Nope, not alone...

In addition to described symptoms, I'm experiencing the craziest mood swings - this had never happened until I started Writing The Thesis. My doctor says it's probably down to stress as well.

F

I think PhD stress has a lot to answer for. Try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know!)

S

definitely not alone... though mine are just irregular, full stop - not connected to stress.

look at it from the bright side: yes, stress might well be the cause for the irregularities. but, it goes both ways - the irregular periods might be a cause for your current PhD stress(de-motivation), too. rest assured - the period will come, your mood will change once again, and you'll write up that thesis like nothing
but from my experience, it's usually not worth it forcing myself to work when it just won't work. rather it just gets worse cause it adds guiltiness. so, instead, use the de-motivated time now to go out, enjoy the sun, rest actively (a spa perhaps? a impromptu bicycle tour?) and when the mood turns, get back to work with fresh energy!

A

In my entire life, I've missed one period - and that was the month of my PhD viva!! Stress can do weird things!! Make time to have fun and de-stress (exercise is good). Take care.

R

Mine tend to go crazy if i've not been eating properly. If you're not eating properly due to stress that could be it. When you get so skinny they eventually even stop. Not good.

L

I definitely don't eat right.....I guessed cos I'm so short of money, I have found myself actually enjoying 8p noodles from Tescos! I keep telling myself that when I finish I'll start doing things properly again, like eating right and exercising. It does really feel like my life is on hold and all the 'normal' things in life will start again when I submit....
Oh, and along with those 8p noodles, a weakness has become cheap chocolate bisuits, so weight loss hasn't been a problem....

C

Hmmm, yes and porridge was water become palatable. A pasta or rice in tinned tomato. Lidl - the grad students friend.

C

sorry, porridge 'with' water. My English!

R

Lidl?! Ew.

R

Lol. I eat ok-ish. Mostly stir frys and pasta and baked things. I cook to have a break. I find it quite cheap to use local grocery stuff. Although lately with revision taking its toll its been hummus sandwiches everyday!

L

Since I've started my project I've noticed hormones have been doing strange things to me...for example skin always looks dull and crap. My make up can not save me. But my hair will not stop growing!! Plus I have TOTAL meltdowns over tiny things (flip out, shout, take it out on boyfriend, go very quiet, sulk then cry). I'm too embarrassed to say here what I 'meltdown' over, it's just too stupid. The most recent one was over margarine though...
The worst thing is, is that at the time it feels a very real problem. Its only after I've let off steam and calmed down and see my bemused boyfriend's face that I realsie how silly it is. Then i feel guilty because I think that the boyfriend thinks that I'm being manipulative/spoilt etc. But he has recently told me that he understands that I'm under pressure but I'm still a bit mental!!!

L

Oh Laurzf1, sounded like u described my relationship with my boyfriend! Fortunately, he works in the computing department at my Institute and is used to hysterical PhD students who have managed to drop their computers, lose all their data etc etc ect so he was fairly prepared for me!!