PhD as growing up

I

Anyone else feel like this? I almost feel like I'm coming of age in the process, no matter what I do afterwards. It's been a hell of a journey.

I

Of course I can get away with saying stuff like this because it's an anonymous forum, thank god!

A

I 'grew up' during my master's to the extent that nothing in academia shocks me now!

C

I think that it's like a ritual of passage. At the end of the PhD process you are finally accepted in the academic world, and indeed you feel grown up.

I hope that Ingenieur does not mind hijacking his thread to say that I've just passed my viva with minor corrections, and to thanks all of the participants to the forum for their support!

A

Oh Corinne, start a 'I passed my viva thread' or people might miss your great news. Brilliant news, very well done, I'm delighted for you 8-)

C

Thanks Ady, I followed your suggestion and add a thread!

I'd agree with Ady and say my Master's-finished late last year, was the stage of 'academic' growing up-(not real life growing up though) and I'm hoping this doctorate marks me moving into the stage of mature, experienced and wise professional (work wise-my doctorate is a professional one).

But essentially it would depend on where it fits with your life stage-again with Ady-the Master's thesis process was a good insight into how academic works and how to complete a thesis-albeit one of 25,000 words rather than 80,000.

Congratulations Corinne as well and great post ingeniour:-)8-)(up)(gift)(tree) (I tried to place these in a discriminating fashion (hark at me!) behind both of your names but it was a fail!

I

Thanks! I did mean growing up in the general life sense though as if forced to be professional. Academically I grew up in my masters in that nothing shocked me after that. From what I've seen academia can be run really badly, I wouldn't let that put me off if I wanted to continue, but I think I would get greater rewards and likely a lot less enragement at people elsewhere when I get my PhD.

I

By the way this website really is great, thanks everyone for replying!