PhD in Education, without formal teaching experience?

M

Hi there,

I've done a BA and MA in an arts/humanities subject, and am looking to do a PhD roughly related to my previous degrees, but applying my interests to education, and the school curriculum. I think it's a more useful and marketable idea than doing something abstract or theoretical (not that I have anything against that).

However, looking at some programmes, they specify that teaching experience is required. I don't have a PGCE but have done lots of informal teaching (extra-curricular stuff). I think maybe I'm being unrealistic about the chances of getting into a PhD programme in Education if I'm not actually a teacher. Even if professional experience isn't a requirement in some places, are my chances reduced? Should I re-focus my energies elsewhere, or suck it up and do a PGCE? I will probably have to teach in a school for a few years after the PGCE as well.

Any helpful thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

if they don't state that teaching qualification is required in the essential criteria, then your informal teaching should count towards teaching experience. I think it would be worth trying. Good luck.

B

A possible problem might be the growing trend for Ed.D degrees rather than PhDs in Education departments - those really do seem targeted at practising teachers. And when I think of people doing Education PhDs that I knew they were all teachers but that's because my institution ran an integrated programme for education - lots of taught modules and a shorter thesis. Do you know any academics working within an education department? I suspect this is one best asked of an expert. You might also want to ask what career prospects might be like if you don't have teaching qualificationd / experience.

C

I'm not sure about prospects of getting Phd in education without a pgce, but i do know getting a job in teaching at the moment can be difficult. My OH qualified 2 years ago and has been unable to get a post to do his nqt year, and he is by no means alone in this. If you were going to go down the pgce route I'd check out the job situation where you're based. Where we are jobs are coming up for sept but are getting 70 to 100 applicants per post!

======= Date Modified 13 Jun 2011 23:16:19 =======
Hi MarkTwain,

Where do you want your PhD to take you? I mean do you want to be an education academic in an education school or faculty? Or are you hoping for consultancy type work and experience afterwards? Or are you looking for policy development and administrative or government work? The end goal for the PhD might help with this decision-or are you interested in curriculum as a research topic in itself?

Most education faculty staff were originally teachers or practitioners of one kind or another (clinical psychologists, etc). That is because one of the Education Department's primary purposes is professional-that is to create new teachers. Many education students appear to value the teaching staff (exteachers and adjunct professionals) most. Mainly it seems because they are able to offer useful relevant support to new teachers and education students-who basically want to know how to survive their first year in the coal face.

However, that being said, I can't imagine that it would be impossible-if you are really keen then give it a try.

Bewildered is right about EdDs-they involve a little more course work and are aimed at those who want to combine theory with practice-rather than theory but in the departments I know, both research degrees are equally available. EdD is is a doctoral degree that acknowledges the constraints teachers of all levels and types work under and assumes that most candidates will be working full time and will want to do a thesis on area that explores a problem in the workplace. In my case, the thesis is the same length as a PhD-and this seems to be common for most universities (in Aust) as well. However, your thesis can also be a highly theorised professional portfolio.

I really liked the advice by LarryDavid on another forum thread about 'not overthinking' decisions. So maybe just put out some feelers and see what the response is? Good luck(up)

M

Hi all,
Thanks so much for all your responses! They've been really helpful. I need to have more of the think about where I want the PhD to take me. I am interested in policy-making, and possibly working for the Civil Service, that kind of thing, but I think you're right about not 'over-thinking' it, and just getting in contact with the right people to see how feasible it all is. I'll try to remember to post here and let you know how I get on. Thanks again.