phd supervisors benefits?

G

======= Date Modified 01 Jul 2010 00:18:26 =======
Yes, I do remember that. I did not like bewildered's approach of using quotations and disgusting gesture towards me. Plus some people bathed it in that color to satisfy some identity misconceptions. I personally said nothing against bewildered except the overwhelming workload some people have to unwillingly cope. I do not even know the Kbean. I think it's one of the problems she is facing...I am even a bigger fan of yours as you seem to have an enormous memory and liked your blacksmith's approach 'Hitting the iron whilst it's hot' Why the hell people at this forum cannot absorb/neglect something which strikes against their own preconceived ideas. I was telling a profound example of teaching practice at one of the prestigious institute after Cambridge. Go and check the admin websites yourself. I will not tell your more about the department to keep the remainder of the privacy.

G

======= Date Modified 01 Jul 2010 12:28:48 =======
Sorry to bother again for which I apologize.. I am going to take a long vacation from this forum due to the amount of b******s I have received despite being so sincere for what I was advocating..
I no wonder now why there are only a few preaching dr here..

@Stressed Please read the full article. There is just an excerpt which I have taken from Wikipedia.
For all those who have preconceived about lectureship...

In the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge it is important to distinguish between University Lecturers, who hold a position equivalent to lecturers in other UK universities, and college lecturers. Lectureships at the College level are typically part-time, temporary positions involving teaching duties alone; usually their holders are graduate students or have recently completed a PhD. Those who hold permanent positions in Colleges are Fellows, a position which is usually combined with a University Lectureship, Readership or Professorship. Colleges also appoint Junior Research Fellows, whose position is full-time but limited in tenure (typically three years) and non-renewable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecturer

And there is same kind of profile for nearly top 10 universities as I do go at partner universities to collaborate research..

Goodbye and spend the rest of your lives in peace...

L

Those are two universities out of over 100 in the UK alone, both of which are notorious for being run and administrated in an entirely unique way. They can't be used as the basis of an argument for the benefits of taking on PhD students. You could have made things a lot clearer by stating that Oxbridge pay a supplement - nowhere else does. As many have said, it's just part of the job, and the advertisements I have seen for lecturers at all levels include a statement that as well as attracting grants and funding, they must also supervise research by students at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. Part of the bonus is if you create a little research group, it makes the chances of promotion to senior lecturer/reader/professor far more likely.
Obviously another benefit to have PhD students is that effectively, elements of your research is being done for you which you can then utilise for future projects, without you having to get your hands dirty in the lab all hours of the day :-)