Postgrad routes into teaching

T

Anyone have any experience with applying for teacher training with a PhD?

I find the amount of information quite confusing.

I think I can apply for Researchers in Schools and get a £20k bursary, but then I get confused if this bursary is for this or for another program... but what are other good options? Maybe Teach First?

Any advice welcome.

C

Here is says it depends on whether you have done Math and Physics or a different doctorate. If different, its aprox 16K for non-London based salary and 20K for inner London.
If you go with an ordinary teacher training at Universities, you could get up to 25K tax free bursary but will run a debt for fees. I think I would go with the later its better pay.

C

If you go with an ordinary teacher training at Universities, you could get up to 25K tax free bursary but will run a debt for fees. I think I would go with the later its better pay.

T

Yes I think maybe with Researchers in Schools it's £16k for Biology outside of London with no fees and then maybe £20k tax free bursary for other teaching routes but I would have to pay fees?

B

I know someone who did/does researchers into schools (currently in NQT year but it seems that the programme is 2 or 3 years). The positive from his perspective was that the participating schools saw the added value of the scheme for their students and so actively used his research/university experience - he felt valued from the start. Some teachers can be a bit prejudiced against people with PhDs - you only have to look at the TES fora to see that, and at least with that scheme you know you're not going to be dealing with that sort of rubbish. I think the attraction of it would depend though on whether you just want to teach or whether you are interested in the extra things that programme offers.

C

Yes. I think that is it.
The fees are covered by a student loan and then come out of your salary.

The scheme looks great, but I think its a question of where you would be placed as well since (although they will take your preference into the account) you could end up all over England.
I have a family so should I look into a teaching carreer I would have to put up with that prejudice.

T

Thanks, yes I would definitely be interested in research benefits it offers so I think that one is looking the best for me so far.

T

I would only take it if it allows for me to be based in a certain area - that's the reason I'm looking for a new job in the first place.

S

hi Tree, if you are successful with RIS, you don't have to pay any fees - after one year's training, you will get QTS status, after the 2nd year, NQTS, and you can extend a third year. I am also looking at this, I really need stability in my life right now.

If you go through Teach first, it is one year's training and depending on which hosting institution, you could even do a PGCE, but they will ask you to pay something.

love satchi

T

Thanks Satchi