Pregnancy vs PhD - advance preparation!

C

By the way, emmantro an academic was sharing his life story with me the other day (we were standing outside waiting for the fire alarms to stop) about how he started a degree in his late 30's, with a family, and still got a first, plus how he had to fight for a studentship (with the aid of his supervisor). It was the most amazing story of determination i've ever heard. So it is possible to do a PhD and still maintain a family. But who says it'll be easy.

R

You said my feelings exactly emmantro which is why I diasgreed with the much earlier comment about supervisors being annoyed if a woman announces she is pregnant during a phd.

S

Wow! just found this thread & read it avidly - great discussion! I don't have much to add except to say that I agree that women should have children when the timing is right for them. Being a female PhD student approaching 35, I will have children when it's right for me, not when it suits other people. And incidentally, a lot of women, like me, don't meet the right guy until their 30s - so you just have to adapt life to what it throws at you! People like PinkNeuron are inspiring, and we need more women like her! All the women I know who have kids before or during a PhD are usually the most determined and successful women I know, and a lot more organised and efficient than I am! Just my few cents worth.

O

Cryogenics, paternity leave is one week but only if you have been imployed for 26 weeks 15 weeks before the due date - I hope I recalled the week thing right it is completly stupidly expressed but yes, it is only one week. Better than nothing I suppose but for us with no family at hand still nothing.

C

Just a week?....well

I think we're in the same baot there oz

C

'boat' i meant to say

E

Cryogenics - great to hear of your colleagues lifestory, I know there are people who do that, manage with family and uni/career. And then there are people like me who do want it all but have not (this far) done much to make it real... instead waiting for the 'right time' (hah! when ever will that come...). Not impressed of the week either... but thanks for that information oz...

We should all have a strike and make babies! :D and stay out of work and uni

(ps as a sideline about state support & pregnancy, in Finland you get a 'maternity box' from state, filled with baby clothes, nappies etc - and the box can even be used as a bed for first weeks! I do love that idea :) http://www.vauvat.net/aitiyspakkaus/isokuva.jpg)

P

Wow, emmantro, that is amazing, very nice gift, not that I would have known what to do with it. My first was so unplanned and I was so unready that I packed running shorts, size 6 jeans and psychology books to take to hospital. I looked at him for 3 days and had to be told to feed and change him. I thought the lady opposite was mad talking to her baby and I asked my husband to bath him. So, I don't think there is ever a right time and if it is a wrong time, they do survive...mine is now 6 foot 2 and last time I could actually see in his bedroom, he was still alive (That's why I had 6 more, I had some improvements to make, the 7th was a breeze)

R

This discussion has been great, both informative and inspiring! I'm currently doing my PhD. Just as a slight aside, does anyone have experiences regarding pregnancy during post-doc positions in labs. Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am) but aren't they funded by research grants too in many cases and so come with the same difficulties as PhDs re: pregnancy? I'm planning to start a family during my first post-doc position and wondered if anyone has a relevant tale to tell. Also, where does the law stand regarding maternity pay if you're on a short term contract (2 or 3 years)?

S

Hi Robber - this is from the DWP website which is pretty comprehensive re: maternity pay.

"To get SMP you must have been:

Employed by your employer into the qualifying week which is the 15th week before the week your baby is due.
Employed by the same employer without a break for at least 26 weeks into the 15th week before the week your baby is due. Part weeks count as full weeks.
Earning before tax an average of £87.00 a week. This is called the Lower Earnings Limit for National Insurance Contributions (NI) and is the amount you have to earn to qualify for benefits. You have to earn more than this amount before you actually start paying NI."

You get 90% of your income for 6 weeks and then either the standard rate (approx £112 per week) or 90% of your earnings - whichever is LOWER

Meaning that you could go from a good salary to a fairly shite one for 33 weeks BUT they have just extended it to 33 weeks.

S

Sorry - SMP is statutory maternity pay and this is the web link:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/statutory_maternity_pay.asp#howmuch

I like the sound of Finland - and Pinkneuron you made me laugh out loud with your story about your first child especially the running shorts bit taken to have a jog? - am sure when I have kids I'll put a nappy on the wrong end and take nothing of any use to the hospital!!

R

robber - are you planning to move to a different lab to do your postdoc? or stay where you are. I imagine it would be ok if you stayed at your current lab where they know your reputation already. But if you move, you have to build all that up again so would be more likely to encounter negative reaction to pregnancy

O

Thanks for the quote sassy, I could not find it again. But I think it is ridiculous as we will end up with basically no money when I am on maternity leave. I am not sure whether they think that I don't have to pay rent anymore when I am on maternity leave? Oh, and of course there is no need for eating, the electricty bills stop, actually everything stops and you have the massive amount of £112 for going down the pub!
Nevermind I probably end up getting nothing as I am neither employed nor unemployed as the welfare office of the uni told me the other week.

S

Hi Oz - I know - it's unbelievable isn't it. Are you doing your PhD part-time?Because I think that makes a difference to what you can claim. Also - does your Uni have a hardship fund? Might be worth trying to find out. How did it go in actually telling them? I hope it was OK. Sharing your

B

I see I opened a kettle of fish when I unearthed this one the other day!
Just thought I'd let you know that I told my supervisor about Bump#2, and he managed not to fall apart. He said I was a "novel" student! We now have a plan of what work I will focus on now, and leave writing of documentation and papers for near the end when Im more tired. (Although week 7 is nackering too!)
Part time PhD with Baby 1 was going really well, and I will say that I do find it the most flexible job that works really well around a baby. On the benefits front, my husband has started an Mphil. We now get Tax Credit and child benefit which is great. When he was working before, we got less... (I don't understand this, as he was paying tax before!). But PhDs don't count as "work" for childcare-related benefits:both partners need 16 hours a week.
To finish my PhD with 2 kinds in nursery will cost more than I bring in as a part time student, so I'm saving now! I've come this far, and love my work and baby.