Problems with PhD

T

I started my PhD almost two years ago now (it's a 4 yr molecular biology based). I had such enthusiasm when I started. My intention was to work as hard as possible and hopefully submit my thesis early. However, since then I have come to realise that the project I'm working on does not in fact work. The majority of faculty members at my insitution think it's a joke and should not be funded.

I took the PhD on mainly because it was the subject area I am interested in and was perhaps naive in the questions I asked before starting. However, it became obvious a few months in that what I had been told about the project was not ture. Re-phrase that - the people involved with the project had been very! economical with the truth. Not mentioning that the project has a fundamental flaw and that a previous postdoc working for three years had been unable to do anything about it.

I have spent the last two years essentially repeating the same lab procedure over and over with no improvement in the outcome. My supervisors continually dismiss my concerns having raised them first five months in. I'm not really an emotional person but the number of times it has driven me to tears...... I have lost count.

I don't know whether to sit it out and just hope that all the effort will result in the degree being awarded or to call it a day. Though, just getting a Doctorate is not really why I want to be in science. I wanted to make a difference and do something that counts even if in a small way. I feel this project is simply used as an employment tool, with those involved either being blinded by it's flaws or purposefully ignoring them.

The worst thing is when I have to give a talk or presentation. i feel absolutely ridiculours discussing the project as I konw the majority of aware scientists would be looking on with distain.

I am coming to the end of what I can resonably take with regards to how this is effecting me. I don't know what to do. I know if I quit and try find another PhD it will be extremely difficult with having a CV tarnished by one failure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:(

E

======= Date Modified 22 Apr 2010 14:16:23 =======
Hi Ttm2

I am sorry that you feel this way. Do you have a postgraduate tutor or director of studies with whom you could discuss your concerns? (That is something I have found helpful in the past.)

ejc x

D

It seems to be replying to all questions....lol but will stop this once I got the adviser back from the journey back from the ash cloud.
I can understand your pain TTm12. I was in a similar situation. But, please bear in mind we are not living in an Idealistic World. Perhaps, according to my personal judgement 79.99% of the people out there in universities are mostly driven by £s and Pays and get incentives forevery student they advise at PhD Level. Your Goal is a truly one in nature but the point is that PhD can still be achieved that you have proven that that particular methodology does not work and have evidence to prove that. This is quite an achievement. (up) However if you think you will regret this in future than its better to submit an Mphil thesis. You are a Genuine person and its your choice. For future PhDs you will have an advantage of 1.5yrs head start. Regards Dispatcher.(up)

S

hi Ttm12
Molecular biology-based research has a lot of challenges; sometimes if even ordering material can be held up; or something goes wrong in the lab.

Have you got any results from those 2 years then? Is there any other way to modify or change any steps in your protocol then, like have you found out why there was no improvement? If you have some results perhaps you could discuss with your supervisor ways to work further on what you have; perhaps you can still continue.

dont give up yet; speak to your supervisor, labmates etc.
satchi

D

Sry one more thing.. PhD is just a start of a career not an End So there would be plenty of opportunities to make a difference.
Research is about flexibility. You cannot be Stubborn with methodologies and if you been bullied into doing something then write to the
Graduate School Appeals and Research Panel and get incentive for lost time and money. I did and won. Change your sup after that if possible and the project ofcourse.
Check this out if this is of any help to you.
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~azuma/hitch4.html

B

I'm not a scientist but do you have a progress review coming up? If so be honest with the reviewers about how you are feeling. Do you have a second supervisor? If not, ask for one - it's good practice to have one and sometimes getting a new eye on a project can help to see some way of redeeming the project.