Professional Doctorate

C

I am in discussions with another university about the possibility of joining a professional research programme following my MSc.
I wonder if there are any members with experience of this type of programme and how it differs, practically not on paper, to a PhD?
Many thanks

My understanding is that it is 'equivalent in status' to a Phd, but generally aimed at practitioners who are not aiming for academia as an end point. The research is focused around work place, practitioner or industry-based research and you can write a thesis, or present a portfolio or series of papers, etc. The work must be equal in standard to a Phd and the equivalent in word length. If you do a portfolio or series of research projects or papers, then usually you also have to write a rigorous theoretical paper that links or connects your work or locates it within a particular theoretical framework.

You often go through with a cohort of peers (but it depends on applicants) and usually do some course work that is pretty rigorous and that sets you up for your own project/s and/or gives you a broad range of research skills before you really begin your own project.

Most advice is that if you really are looking to become an academic, then you would want the Phd. Not because a Phd is of a higher standard but because that is the pathway for academia. Generally professional doctorates are for those who are keen to remain in the workplace but also wish to push themselves regarding professional development, write papers, present at conferences, write policy, etc (if in government or education), that sort of thing- but are not looking to become academics at universities as such. Hope this is helpful :-)

C

Thank you for your reply; it is much as my understanding.

I am not looking to move into academia (although some guest lecturing has been mooted) merely to play a part in developing the management theory behind my industry area of strategic security and resilience.

Many thanks again for your response.

C

Hi Chris.

Can't add much to the comprehensive reply below but in very practical terms the Professional Doctorate, DBA or other, differs in that it tends to be more structured and goal driven approach.  You need to submit this piece of work by then, that piece by then - this can help a lot of people with time management etc. 

You will / should also attend weekends or day course to help you prepare for each of these goals.

Additionally you would have the support of classmates to help you through,  much missed in a PhD where it can feel very lonely. Of course classmates can hinder too, i guess  ;-) . 

All the best with your studies whichever approach you take. Chuff