quitting a PhD to apply for another one...

M

Hi there,
I'm brand new to this forum and I've found it really interesting.
I've started a PhD 2 months ago, but the topic is becoming less interesting than I though.
In case I want to quit it, can I apply for a new one?perhaps same university but different department?

thanks and cheers!

machv83

O

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. Chances are - you don't really want to do a PhD and every topic will bore you after a while.

M

thanks for your reply.
apart from the chance to get bored on every argument, it can be done, indeed, right?
I mean, no international law against it...
I'm asking because I have a few interesting proposal much closer to my topic...

machv83

O

Yes, you can apply to as many as you wish. Nevertheless, doing a PhD basically means to dedicate yourself to any topic for a minimum number of three years during which the topic is likely to change. thing is, we all went there with high hopes and realised after a couple of years that our PhD won't change the world and will not be our most brilliant work. It's a simple research exercise, all you have to prove is that you are tough enough to stick with it, EVEN if it is boring.

-Words from an old, wise man-

O

You are 24 already, you'll also be an old, wise man very soon.

M

dear old, wise man
thanks a lot for wasting a little bit of your time with a young and impulsive guy!
the point, apart from the topic that becomes often quite annoying, is that there are also some entrance examinations (that, by contract, can be done after the enrollement) that there's no chance to pass. also, I've received some quite interesting other propositions from worldwide.
so...things getting tougher than with just one PhD lol!!
I love university life, research is just all I want for my carrier, but all these things occurring together are making me think...a lot.

maybe I'm still looking for my karma-PhD?

Cheers, machv83

A

I did that.
I regret it a little because it set back my graduation time a bit.. but I was desperately unhappy with my first choice of lab, and I'm quite content with my current lab, so I imagine that it was the right choice!

S

Are you self funded?
You will find it difficult to get another PhD whether you are self-funded or are looking for funding but more so in the latter case.
Any prospective supervisor will not want to to take the risk that you will quit again. You will have to try really hard to expalain to them that you had a really good reason for leaving and this will be hard. Also you will need references from your current supervisor and these may not be favourable since you say you are just quitting because you dont like it. Sorry to be harsh but this is the lilkely situation you will face.