quitting-pay back studentship?

D

Hi all,

Yet another quitting thread I'm afraid. I'm on a studentship and will be quitting after many months of study. Does anyone know if I'll be expected to pay this back? My contract doesn't contain any wording to this effect which makes me think it would be illegal for them to ask anyway.

I would be grateful if people could advise me. The PhD is untenable so no chance of staying on.

Thank you.

T

Quote From DoctorJ:

Hi all,

Yet another quitting thread I'm afraid. I'm on a studentship and will be quitting after many months of study. Does anyone know if I'll be expected to pay this back? My contract doesn't contain any wording to this effect which makes me think it would be illegal for them to ask anyway.

I would be grateful if people could advise me. The PhD is untenable so no chance of staying on.

Thank you.

Hi J,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still feeling this way. Do you have anyone to talk to there? Why do you feel it is untenable?

D

Hi,

I've talked to lots of people at uni but they're not interested & make out like I'm a difficult student. I want to quit & move on from this terrible experience. Do you know if I'll have to pay back any of my studentship?

Thanks

J

======= Date Modified 21 Nov 2012 10:41:16 =======

Quote From DoctorJ:

Hi,

I've talked to lots of people at uni but they're not interested & make out like I'm a difficult student. I want to quit & move on from this terrible experience. Do you know if I'll have to pay back any of my studentship?

Thanks

J

You need to check with your postgrad office or registrar. If you're funded by one of the research councils in the UK, I would check with them also. I think at worst you may have to pay back for the current term / semester depending on arrangements.

If you're only a few months in and you're unhappy with your situation, you're probably doing the right thing. It's better than going on for a couple of years and finding yuorself in in all sorts of problems.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

D

I get paid monthly through the university, do you think they'll ask for it back?

I'm actually over 2 years in, do you think this will be an issue? I've done data collection & have draft thesis but I can't achieve the standard required for Phd. Relationship with sup beyond repair, postgrad tutor blamed me, refuses to give new supervision & labels me as trouble.

D

p.s. not interested in continuing or getting retribution, just want out.

H

I quit a UK research council funded PhD once. I was being paid quarterly in advance, and I was asked to repay the portion of the quarterly instalment for which I was no longer going to be working (i.e. I ended up quitting just a couple of weeks after being paid that instalment so they asked me for three months minus 2 weeks back). Seemed fair! I wasn't asked to repay anything for the time already spent.

D

Thanks HazyJane, that's really useful (up)

======= Date Modified 21 Nov 2012 20:20:46 =======
Good luck Dr J-hope it all works out for you. Sounds like it has been a really rough experience.

C

Hi DoctorJ,

I am also thinking of quitting a studentship. Can you let us know what happens? How are you going to approach telling your supervisor?

As far as I am aware you only have to pay back anything 'overpaid' to you which means paying back the remainder of a term if you quit a few weeks in and you are paid each term.