Quitting PhD. A good idea?

M

...So your frustration is perfectly understandable. A lot depends on where you wish to go next, but the cv won't really matter either way tbh because you'll need to be trained to do something anew, so your 4 years of experience is something for you and and not being a "Dr" will probably be favourable for you.

I loved my PhD years but I knew before and have had it confirmed since submitting (in different ways) that the PhD is pretty useless. Your health and well-being deserve far better conditions and support than the stale environment of academia and, this time to you, I wish you well in whatever you choose to do in the future.

P

"I loved my PhD years but I knew before and have had it confirmed since submitting (in different ways) that the PhD is pretty useless. "

-Seconded.. and good luck in your viva.

Quitting a PhD is *not* the end of your life, sometimes it takes a stronger person to say 'You know what? this isn't for me..' than to continue for another 2 years before finally giving up..

B

I agree with Matt.

Your PhD years can be seen as "working in research", and you can highlight the benchskills/maths/ critical analytical tools you learned during this period to other employers.

Looking back on my own thesis, I feel that the PhD was made out to me as the holy grail (too hyped and over rated), but its actually skills I am learning NOW that are more important.

R

I totally agree with comments by Matt, PC_Geek and Badhaircut. It does take quite a bit of courage to quit a PhD.

There have been a number of people on this forum who argue that dropping out constitutes nothing other than failure and is just a case that the person bottled it because they couldn’t handle the heat. But these kinds of comments typically come from people who are fortunate enough to be sailing through their PhDs and can’t understand why someone should ever drop out.

But regardless of a persons reasons for wanting to quit, why not quit? Life is too short to be doing something that doesn’t make you happy. People quit all the time. They quit their jobs for all sorts of reasons: because they aren’t getting paid enough, the job is too stressful, they might not have an aptitude for that particular job. Regardless of the reason, people leave their job and no one bats an eyelid. Why should a PhD be any different?

R

You might not realise it, but you will have learned a lot during your PhD: knowledge and skills which you can sell to prospective employers. Chances are if you are applying for jobs outside academia the people interviewing you won't have PhDs and so won’t be in much of a position to judge you for dropping out.

S

Thanks every one for your support.

I am now off to Uni to officially hand in my 'resignation'.
I can already feel my breathing becoming lighter and I am smiling for the first time in years.

Good luck in your viva Matt.
And for those of you that are continuing with your research - I truely hope that the experience is rewarding and sucessful.

B

Hi, I am also planning on quitting and want to tell my supervisor but how do I do it? He is a really nice guy and very enthusiastic, but I just know this is not the right thing for me. I want to end it all nicely as I could really do with a good reference from him for the job I am planning on applying for as it is related to some things I have done in the PhD. I have also just come back from a research cruise which he ran which was amazing, and I don't want him to think I applied for the PhD just to get the amazing opportunities he has given me. Help!
xxx

M

All the best Sara, thanks to you and PC_Geek for best viva wishes, much appreciated, am sure I'll be fine. Glad you're feeling better already!

Bryony, your supervisor will understand, just be clear and honest, any delay will only increase your anxiety. It's your future, go grab it.

B

I have just been and confessed all to my supervisor, phew! I can't believe how easy it was, he was so nice about it. I really thought that despite him being a nice person, he would still be annoyed about it after all the effort he has put into it, and it is all for nothing. Big weight off my chest now! Now all I have to do is dump the boyfriend, move house and find a new job and I am sorted....
Thank you everyone!
xxx

S

Thanks again everyone.
I feel better than I have in years.
FREEDOM!!
Can't remember the last time I was this bouncy. LOL
I have no idea what I will do next. Or what the future holds. But it doesn't matter. I am light-headed with hopefulness - not weighed down with hopelessness. I just wanted you all to know that it is possible to fly again!
I'm sure that this giddiness will wear off in a few days and then I will have to return to the real world.
But for now I just wanted to let the undecided among you... quitting a miserable PhD brings a fantastic sense of release.
Good luck with the decisions/Phds
Sara xx

B

Hi guys,
I've been thinking of leave my Phd for a couple of months now, and now I've made my decision to leave. I was worried about talking to my supervisor because he's been really good throughtout these past 8 months and I didn't want to disappoint him, but what you guys have said has made me more confident in going through with it. After all I don't want to be unhappy for the next 2 years...life is too short.

L

good for you bana ! i wish i had the courage to quit my phd all those years ago. i wish you all the best in whatever it is that you do..

H

I'm glad to see that there are lots of PhDers out there who have the balls to call it quits. Well done and good luck. As for me, I've always wanted to do a PhD because I enjoy the cerebral challenge. Things hit rock bottom last year and sacking the supervisors was the best thing I've ever done (next to marriage)in my PhD career.
Well done all the girls and guys with guts and balls!

A

i agree...there is no point in doing something if you know it is not right for you. I think what makes quitting a phd harder than any other job is the 'status' that comes with doing it...which unfortunately leads to self imposed pressures to 'succeed'.

People that think 'quitters' just give up far too easily make me angry. From my own experience, the past 3 years for me have been no breeze, rather they have been spent on trying to do the right thing by everyone. Rarely do 'quitters' think about themselves- pressure about what everyone will say, think, and the dreaded 'what do i put on my cv now?' are the thoughts that occupy their minds not 'hey can't be bothered with this so i'll just quit!'

B

Hey guys, thanks for the words of encouragement :) I told my supervisor I wanted to leave and we had a very long chat. He told it was normal to feel like this in the 1st yr and gave me 2 weeks to 'think about it'. I've spoken to various people about me leaving, but I just feel like they think I'm being 'silly'. I've got until Friday to tell my boss either way, but I feel like I should stay so that I don't disappoint anyone. I really want to leave! My boss also said he said it would be great for my CV! ( like I didn't know that) and would be good for furthering my career later.Has anyone or does anyone know of someone who has quit their PhD who's had negative consequences finding jobs afterwards ??