Rank 2 in the list?

A

Hello,

I recently had an interview for a PhD studentship for which I was ranked 2 and informed that if the candidate does not take up the opportunity I could be made an offer. Does anyone share the same experience ? In general should I keep any hope? Few encouraging words would do allot good.

Thanks!

D

Some years ago (14 ish) I went to interview for a funded PhD at Kings College. I was telephoned before I had even got home to be offered the post.  On further reflection of the research detail given at interview, compounded by a health issue that could be exacerbated by the work, I turned the offer down. I was absolutely gutted, but it was the best decision for me at the time. So in this case the 2nd ranked candidate would have been offered the PhD place instead.  I did go on to self-fund my own part-time research 8 years later and have just passed my viva in a completely unrelated area.

H

It's possible. I once had a month between an interview and a rejection and although it wasn't said explicitly I did get the impression that I might have been offered it had the first candidate turned it down. Ditto a job where myself and two friends applied, one was rejected outright and myself and the other friend who were more suited to the position didn't get rejected till the day after the interviews were scheduled to be held (i.e. I reckon if they hadn't liked any of the first round of interviewees they might have called us in).

Even if they don't offer it to you, maybe maintain good communication with them because if they like you they might be supportive of you applying for a future opportunity.

Good luck.

A

Well, I gave for Queen's Uni, Belfast and reading your comments I think I have to be extremely lucky to secure the offer but there seems hope and yes Hazyjane I would def maintain communication with them.

Thanks Dunni73 for sharing your experience!

M

really good information. i appreciate your work. Thank you.