Reconsidering My Decision

T

So, my district superintendent mentioned that I should pursue my doctorate, and since I respect them, I investigated a program, applied and got accepted. Now, I hate it. The work is either mind-numbing busy work (for a doctorate? really?), or so pressuring that I stay stressed. One of my professors, in response to an email I wrote for some guidance, told me I should pursue topics that interest me, I should decide my doctorate based on what the literature says. I'm holding down a 4.0, but I really DON'T CARE. I feel like I made this decision because of someone else's expectation, not because I wanted it. And, in reality, I don't think I do. But, now, how do I quit without losing face and prestige? I'm so concerned about how others will react, and that's the last reason I should use in making a decision. But, I wouldn't be in this position if I didn't care about someone else's opinion. fml.

D

The best thing you should do is to tell your supervisor the truth that doing a PhD is not what you want at the moment. Doing a PhD is a long-term commitment. If you do not have a passion for doing research, you will lose your motivation and even hate it. I think no matter what you say, your supervisor will be disappointed since he/she wants you to pursue one.

To avoid losing face and prestige, maybe you could tell him/her you have got your own plans like having a working holiday, taking a break, looking for jobs or you want to enrich your life or work experience in different areas.

Hope it helps.

H

So, in summary, you started a PhD because *other people* said you should, without checking out what the requirements would be. You don't like it and want to quit, but the only thing stopping you is what *other people* might think. So you have come to ask a bunch of strangers what *they* think and to tell you what to do.

Would it be so hard to do what you want (i.e. stop doing the PhD) and make your own decisions? You've not presented any case or reasons for carrying on, so I'm not sure what the big deal is. Generally people who are quitting PhDs are more concerned about the career/financial/employment reference implications than about 'losing prestige'. Are you sure you're focussed on the right issues here?

H

I think the big deal is that it was his/her "district superintendent" that suggested it and if he/she quits then TX will feel like a let down.