Saturday 22nd Demonstration re: Bombing of Lebanon

H

Just out of interest, samra, if it was the other way around i.e Lebanon invading Israel, would you feel as strongly?

S

do your parents pity you?

T

I would think the innocent would prefer some action to stop all of this rather than pity!

G

'i feel pity for the innocent wherever they are!'

Thats what we call over hear as dodging the question.

H

"i feel pity for the innocent wherever they are!"

So you feel pity for everyone yet only speak openly about those of your kind?

I don't recall you starting up other threads regarding any other recent events where people were killed/injured etc. For example, did you post anything about the Bombings in Mumbai?

R

Indeed. What about whats happening in the Gaza strip? It is pretty much the same thing. You could argue that Hamas is more behind the terroists than the lebonesse govenmnet, though the fact that the lebonesse govenment has done nothing to exert its authority (and has hallbella or whatever they are called MPs) doesnt really put it in any better position that Hamas. The conflict in the Gaza strip has been going on for a lot longer than that in Lebonon (and seems to be similar in its brutality). But no one seems to care anywhere near as much. There are no posts on here about trying to stop that conflict.

L

I must admit, I've found this violence particularly distrubing. Did anyone watch the news last night? It was heart breaking, it showed parents being split up from their children as they are trying to escape the violence, husbands crying for their dead wives etc. Maybe it was because of the 'female cycle' I was feeling a bit hormonal so I feel sorry for everyone anyway, but I think I would've cried no matter what. You'd have to be cold hearted not to!
But the very worst image I've seen is one of a little girl lying dead on the road side. I mean for god's sake, what the hell is going on? The Israelis AND Hezbollah have got to stop killing innocent 5 year olds for a sake of some political/religious pride or history. But then I'm not even going to pretend I understand what it's all about. I know about the kidnappings etc, but the deep rooted stuff is above my head. All I see is the Israelis using the kidnappings as a thinly veiled excuse to bomb the living daylights out of innocent civilians with the hope of maybe getting a few hezbollah in the process.

T

Samra I have one question - huh?

T

ouch...

T

Yep, and it's all your fault! I was never like this until I came on here...

L

I wasn't being sarcastic! Don't know why I bother posting sometimes...

S

samra - if these threads are nothing to fuss over then why don't you shut up!

G

A few days ago I was accused of being misinformed/ naive / stupid [take your pick really] due to my quoting the media re this situation. Apparently the 'media' are pro-Israeli and not to be trusted as they slant coverage.

I've been watching the news closely and have to say I can't see this slant [at all]. I would say the coverage I've been watching is VERY even-handed [or even pro-Lebanon and Hezbollah]. I'm talking re Sky News, BBC news, Radio 4. What do others think re this?

S

I'm not very knowledgable about the situation and I've only seen BBC, but yes I think they've been even-handed. They do seem to lean towards coverage from Lebanon, but this is understandable since ten times more (so the BBC tell me) Lebanese citizens have been killed than Israelis.

S

sorry, that (above) was directed at golfpro