Scholarship, Do I stand a chance, even a small one??

P

I nearly posted on here yesterday about my chances for a scholarship and how many people had ever got one and should I ask my Prof. to apply for me or leave it for him to suggest when today I got an email from him saying that would I like him to put me forward. I am so happy, it is worth full fees plus £12000 but there are only 2 available!! I have said Yes, of course but I am trying not to get my hopes up as I didn't get a first for my Hons degree but I do have an MSc and another Hons degree and a PG Dip. as well. Do you think I stand a chance, small, even? I got a 2.1.

A

Your Prof must think you have a good chance, good luck, hope it works out for you!

B

Hey Pink Neuron, go for it! I am in the same position and waiting to hear (very anxiously) and there is only 1 scholarship in my case - and 30 applicants But...
if you don't try you have no chance

P

Thanks, yes, I have nothing to lose but I think I won't get my hopes up at all. There are fees-only sholarships available too, so even that would be good, worth £3600 per year for my Uni.
So, good luck to you too :)

C

Hi PinkNeuron. I think that you must give it a go. I can tell you that I didn't want to send my application for a scholarship because I felt that it was going to be rejected, but I got it! So, you should be positive about it. Of course there is a lot of competition, but if you don't try you don't get it for sure!From what you write you are more than qualified and I can also tell you that having a first class is important, but not essential. I know people that got it with a 2:2.
There are a lot of other components that come into play: e.g. experience, research topic etc. Good Luck! You really deserve it!

N

Yes, absolutely. I would recommend you to apply to every financial aid available (unless you're a billionaire and you don't want to make the effort of filling up paperwork!). The worst thing that could happen is that you are awarded 2 or more scholarships and you have to reject them.

I was in a similar situation last year, asked my future supervisor to put my name forward for my university's scholarships and at the end I got a full fees scholarship, which is not too bad.

V

Yes, I agree, apply to every scholarship you are eligible, because if you wont apply you wont get anything for sure. Competition is very high but you never know. After MPhil I applied to 5 places for a PhD scholarship and did not get any. After a year I applied to 10 places and got a full scholarship (fees+ maintenace) for 3 years, and there were 80 other candidates for this one. And I wasnt brilliant. So, try, apply and you will get.

P

Thanks everyone, you are very encouraging. Last time I looked at my bank balance, I wasn't a billionaire so I better get on with filling out some more forms Absolutely any funding would be a bonus for me.

D

I didn't get two schlorships I applied for but aced the third...and I only got a 2:1 as well...go for it nothing ventured nothing gained!!!!!

L

Never in a million years did I think that I would get my funding, but I did
You've got nothing to lose by trying!
Let us know how you get on (unless I missed a thread where you tell us good news that you got it!!! )

P

I got an email today from my Prof. saying he had sent all the docs in for it. I had to rush around finding another good academic ref. to beef it up but managed to do it. So, it is in, I should hear by early July. I will let you all know, if I get it, you will definitely know....
I will throw a forum party If I don't get it, I will still throw a party because I tried

F

Fingers crossed Pink Neuron.

P

I got a well paid PhD studentship and I have a 2.2

B

well Pink Neuron - did you get it??? fingers crossed x

S

What is your area of research, *pineapple*? I got a first and a good Msc result but didn't get a single penny for sociology funding, which makes me distraught!