Scholarship, Do I stand a chance, even a small one??

C

Good luck with it - everyone stands a chance of course and you've applied so you're half there. Be careful about a fees only scholarship though - one of my friends did this and had to flog herself to death earning money whilst trying to get into the PhD because maintenance scholarships didnt come through. This post makes me feel a bit guilty actually as I really applied for an advertised PhD place a bit haphazardly and beat 60 people and I only have a 2:1 and an MSc which wasnt directly relevant. Makes me think I was very lucky - quite motivating - Im off to stop procrastinating and write up!

N

Hi everyone. I have passed B.Sc. Chemistry and M.Sc. Biotechnology both with A+ grade. My ambition is do PhD in neuroscience. I would kindly request all those who are especially in the field(eg. pink neuron, blueberry) to provide me necessary details. I passed out in 2006 and since then applying to several places. But I get mostly negative reply saying, I dont have required qualifications. Please guide me!

P

Hiya.

I'm conducting a PhD within the social research and social policy field. I'm into my second year, and after a slow start, I'm looking forward to actually getting some interesting findings!

I was up against 5 other applicants; they all had 2.1s and 1st class degrees. At the time of appplying for this PhD, I was finishing off my second MSc in Psychology. Somehow I got it by really fighting my corner and basically selling myself.

If I can get a studenthip of 16k and I don't have a 2.1, then I'm sure the overwhelmingly majority of you with 2.1s plus should be able to get one! I now realise how extremley lucky I've been though.

xx

F

I was kind of lucky in this regard - there were two scholarships / extra funding available for research students and my supervisor put me forward without my even knowing. I only found out I'd been successful when I recieved an email telling me that I was getting £12,000, which as you can imagine was a rather nice surprise!!!